Air Ministry mark

Do not post mark questions here.
tdh10

Air Ministry mark

Post by tdh10 »

Mappin & Webb with Air Ministry mark.
AM Crown mark of Air Ministry with Queen`s crown. Every RAF item had the crown (either King`s or Queen`s crown) and AM.
Air Ministry existed until 1964.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Air Ministry mark

Post by silvermakersmarks »

HI and welcome to the forum

If you have a question please ask it and add pictures of the item you are querying. If your post is just giving us information then pictures will also be very useful.

Phil
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Yes, Phil's absolutely right...we need a photo and a clarification. I just got through looking at a cup & saucer with Crown over wreath-containing-RAF (blue on white china) with no "AM" anywhere in sight. So what are you saying here?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Unfortunately, as long as this can of worms is opened, it could be read as mis-leading with the site blamed for this. So, reference Worthpoint mug...RAF-under-Crown Encircled. Blue on white china. Newhall Hanley Staffs Made In England...see mark 2871, "Printed mark, c. 1930-51." [Encyclopedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks, Geoffrey A. Godden, F.R.S.A., MCMLXIV (1964), Crown Publishers, Inc. New York, New York] This is a wide range, but WWII seems possible assuming the item is authentic. Any photographic evidence to the contrary would certainly be helpful.
I believe I might still have a piece of silverware which I will post if I can get to finding it. Hopefully it was RAF and not CRAF.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Wiki for the Air Ministry with 1940 photo (tap/enlarge) of offices showing official emblem on wall over fireplace: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Ministry

Right now, c/s set unknown maker, impressed Made in England, ink dated 1940, and topmarked with (faded blue?) seal shown above, eBay listing. No "AM" marking.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Additional listing: Blue body, double handle bullion cup, reported as enlisted mens mess for RAF. Bottom marked A-Crown-M, over known maker mark #3171 (Godden) for George Procter & Co. L(td), Gladstone Pottery, Longton. Mark used 1924-40 and dated on yhis item for 1940. This confirms an "AM" mark for some cases. Warning-an "AM" letters mark is used by Authentic Models in retro-production items...do not confuse this with Air Ministry!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

More on this subject is found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16830&p=168233#p168233

Return to “General Questions”