Somorodok technique

Do not post mark questions here.
meyrink
contributor

Somorodok technique

Post by meyrink »

Hello.

I am starting a jewellery lessons and my dream is to make a somorodok object. Does anybody know the technological process of making such technique? Are there any specific instruments /tools/machineries necessary?

I was looking for this topic online but didnt find any specific information..

Thank you very much, meyrink
AG2012
contributor

Re: Somorodok technique

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Samorodok means metal in its natural state (silver and gold nuggets found in nature).
In short, use a sheet of silver and heat it with the burner uniformly close to melting point when the surface starts warping, then immerse it into cold water.Depending on silver fineness, the color will be brownish due to copper oxide on the surface, but the sheet of silver is supposed to be worked with and heated again (when soldering) and when immersed into acid (pickled) and cleaned with fine brass brush under tap water you will have nice shiny silver surface in samorodok.
It takes a lot of practice and trial and error, although you cannot destroy a sheet of silver.
One cannot predict the result,the process can be repeated until you are satisfied with the samorodok surface.
I think the technique was accidentally discovered, I ruined several silver pieces when soldering by overheating them close to melting point when their surface showed samorodok look, unwanted, though.
Regards
meyrink
contributor

Re: Somorodok technique

Post by meyrink »

Thanks a lot. I will try this :)

Return to “General Questions”