Jacob Leonard Wash DC (House Of Congress Inkstand)

Do not post mark questions here.
Aguest
contributor

Jacob Leonard Wash DC (House Of Congress Inkstand)

Post by Aguest »

Is anything known about Jacob Leonard? He seems to have been a silversmith and watchmaker from Washington DC, and I am surprised that I have not seen another piece silver with his hallmark because there is a very famous inkstand which makes its appearance each time the President Of The United States delivers the State Of The Union address, and the inkstand always seems very well polished indeed!!!

"Before the Speaker calls each session of the House to order, this coin-silver inkstand is placed on the rostrum. The inkstand is considered the oldest surviving artifact of the House and was made between 1810 and 1820. Although its origins are mysterious, it most likely came into the House around 1819. The inkstand is stamped with the mark of J. Leonard, a Washington silversmith and watchmaker. It contains three replacement crystal inkwells and is adorned on both sides by swags and eagles. The feet of the tray take the form of fasces with snakes winding around them, classical symbols of unity and wisdom, respectively."

The Inkstand had a big night last night:

Aguest
contributor

Re: Jacob Leonard Wash DC (House Of Congress Inkstand)

Post by Aguest »

I see an archived thread from an obsolescent silver website which gives a very well-constructed answer, thanks for all who contributed to it ::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

It seems as if someone took the inkstand out of the chamber right before the chamber was breached. ::: Later as the electoral votes were being counted, I saw the inkstand there in its usual place. ::: Glad the inkstand is safe. :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I must be the only person who was watching all this unfold and was worried about a historic coin silver inkstand, but it's kind of a national treasure. ::
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

I hate to be the one to tell you this but...

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Joint session resumed: inkstand is safe !

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Hopefully we can interview the brave soul who transported our National Inkstand to an undisclosed location. ::: Thank them for their service. :::

Return to “General Questions”