Unknown marks on spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
techsol
contributor

Unknown marks on spoon

Post by techsol »

Hi,

I am not even sure this is provincial or colonial (admin please move if appropriate), however due to the presence of what appears to be a thistle I have posted here. This is a large and heavy basting spoon and has just the 2 punch marks as shown. I would be grateful if anybody can point me in the right direction to the origin of this spoon.

Regards
Martin

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unknown marks on spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi Martin,

I've got a sneaky feeling this is going to be Swiss, or somewhere in that region of Europe, in origin.

I'll move it to 'Other Countries' to see if we have any luck there.

Trev.
Francais

Post by Francais »

I guess 11 days and 100 visits is enough, I private messaged the owner, over a week ago, but it is still sitting in my out box. The spoon is made in the Lorraine region of France. The first mark is that of Dominique DEROCHE 1782-1786 without going into the idiosyncrasies of Lorraine’s system it is the equivalent of a wardens guarantee mark for silver of the second standard, the standard of Lorraine, .792 fine. The A, under the DD is the letter for city of Nancy.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The next mark is the makers mark IFG and a thistle, for Jean-Francois GROLLET.
born 1752, master 1777, again this is a different system than other parts of France, but I simplified it.
The thistle is the symbol of Nancy, common on maker’s marks there, and is on the coat of arms of the city. The style of the spoon is obviously French or as Trev said Swiss.
Finally the first mark is found in Tardy, I just checked. I guess a book does not an expert make. Our German friends get a pass on this one, as Nancy was not the part of Lorraine that was once German.
Maurice
Francais

Post by Francais »

In the edited part of this posting I pointed out that the symbol in the first mark is the Croix de Lorraine.
Maurice

Return to “French Silver”