Doublé

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Doublé

Post by amena »

Hello.
I saw some silverware that the seller declared of the French Empire period (1809-1814).
There is only one mark of which I could not take pictures, but I have tried to draw from memory.
I have not found correspondence on my books and I wonder if by chance the letter D means " doublé "(plated).
Does anyone have information on this?
Thanks
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: Doublé

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

French guaranty mark for small silver objects 800/1000 fineness, perhaps the D could stand for: Départements (assay office)
For more information see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... na#p119837

Best,

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Peter
The question is that the mark is quite different from the guaranty for small items. The fasces is much more thin and long, and the ax is in the center and not on top.
In any case in the books that I own it is not mentioned the possibility of the presence of a letter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

Yes your right. However the ax can be in the middle, I believe to indicate Paris.
Let us wait for JayT.

Best,

Peter
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello Peter and Amena
Here is my feedback on this mark. The axe head facing right in a ribbon-wrapped bundle of reeds is the guarantee mark used for smalls in the departments from 1809-1819. Yes, the axe head should be at the top of the fasces. The actual mark might look slightly different from the drawing. As for width, that can be a function of how the mark was stamped and where on the object, in other words could be the result of natural distortion. The D is certainly not for doublé, but rather for the name of the department. D for doublé would not be logical because the wrapped reed mark is a silver standard mark (la garantie. A guarantee mark would not be found on silver plate. Hope this helps a bit.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Just wondering, if the struck mark was 'chattered', could this have the effect of making it look as if the mark had an added 'D'?

Trev.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

There is the rub. The seller claims that the mark is the guaranty for small items, but it looks to me too different from the ones I've seen drawn or photographed. The cutlery also does not seem to have the style of the first 800.
But I understand that we are at an impasse.
I will try to take a picture, which possibly could lead to a solution.
Thank you all
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Try Carcassonne assay office in Aude. (Starting in 1833, but possible ?)
Best wishes
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hello everyone
I am absolutely desolate and I'm wearing sackcloth and ashes .
When I saw again the cutlery I realized that my sketch has no resemblance to reality.
My photographic memory is really miserable, I promise I will never bear witness in court
Here is a photo of the fork and mark.
I think it is clear that, even if the seller declares himself a great expert, this mark has nothing to do with the guaranty for small items from 1809 until 1819 (in Italy until 1814), and in all probability it is silverplate
Forgive me to have wasted your time
Amena
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hi Amena
Never a waste of time looking at and learning about silver.
agree with you that this is not a French mark.
Regards,
JayT
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

I agree with JayT, such topics are never a waste of time, and I for one, have learned something new.

Trev.

Return to “French Silver”