V.Boivin Paris Help Please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Badger3000

V.Boivin Paris Help Please

Post by Badger3000 »

Hello,
I have purchased this amazing spoon by V.Boivin but can only find the basic information on the site stating 1897 5 Rue de Montmorency Paris.
Has any one any further history on Boivin or this strange design please. The photos show the spoon and their mark along with the Mercury Mark for 800 silver.
Many thanks for any help Badger
JayT
contributor

Re: V.Boivin Paris Help Please

Post by JayT »

Hello
Good news: your spoon is made of 950 standard silver as shown by the Mercury head export mark in a six-sided reserve.

Victor Boivin succeeded his father, Jules Boivin in 1881. Boivin Fils registered a mark in 1897. The Boivin firm received medals at the Universal Expositions of 1867 and 1889 - gold, silver and honourable mention.

Nevertheless at the time of the Universal Exposition of 1889, the jury criticized the Boivin firm for a certain lack of taste, in particular in their designs destined for the export market.

I've never seen the pattern of your spoon in person or illustrated, but to me it could be called a variant of the à la Russe design. The chequerboard motif looks quite contemporary. How long is the spoon? Dimensions help determine use.

For more information about Boivin, please use the search function.

Hope this helps a bit.
Badger3000

Post by Badger3000 »

Many Thanks Jay that's really interesting.
The spoon is 5" or 12.7CM long if that helps find any more information that would be great.
Badger
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

At that length, your spoon is a coffee or teaspoon.

Return to “French Silver”