Hanau?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
moonshine

Hanau?

Post by moonshine »

Hello All. This Fiddle and Thread pattern Serving Spoon has what I think are authentic French marks, based on the detail of the marks compared to those I have seen of Hanau, and the quality of the piece. The Paris Maison commune mark has an 87 under the crown. I also could not find a similar serving spoon from Hanau in my research.
But, the discharge mark is that of a jug, which I've seen with Rennes, and I'm not so sure it fits on this piece. I also noticed in the Hanau hallmarks section that Hanauer Silberwaren Manufaktur used a similar mark.
So I turn to the experts. If it is authentic French, could anyone help with the maker's mark. Looks to me like a T on the left side, and an N on the right. That's all I could make out. Thanks.

JayT
contributor

Re: Hanau?

Post by JayT »

Hello
You have read the marks on your spoon well. The date letter mark of a crowned P 87 for 1787, the charge mark A, and the jug exportation mark, both in use from 1780-1789.

As for the maker's mark, it is so badly worn that attribution is not possible for me. The maker's symbol can't be seen, and it is not clear whether the N is a middle or last name. Sorry.

You don't say how long the spoon is, but if it is about 21cm in length, it is an individual table spoon, not a serving spoon. Together with a fork it would make up a single flatware set or couvert. The pattern is called filet or thread in French. A fiddle thread pattern would have a waisted spatula.

Hope this helps.
fermiersgeneraux

Post by fermiersgeneraux »

if I had to venture a guess on the silversmith, I'd say it's probably Pierre-Nicolas Somme, reputed silverware maker, quite well known for his spoons. His hallmark is "PNS", with for symbol a hand holding a branch of laurels.
moonshine

Post by moonshine »

I looked at it again in different light and angles, and you are correct. I was able to make out all three letters. Thank you both.

Return to “French Silver”