Provincial silver 'key ring'

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
anikopol
contributor

Provincial silver 'key ring'

Post by anikopol »

Hi,

I found what is most probably a modified/leveled 'key ring' (chatelaine) made in France during the 1819-38 period ('old man' period).

Here are the marks :
Unfortunalty, silversmith mark is almost unreadable (even with a better pic than mine ;-)
At least, I would identify the region where it was made thanks to the garantee mark :
a bearded man in profile, with the figures "1" and "6".
Which departement is it for 1819-38 period ?
Thanks.
JayT
contributor

Re: Provincial silver 'key ring'

Post by JayT »

I see 3 marks:
1. The giraffe head recount mark (poinçon de recense) used in 1838;
2. The head of Socrates facing left in a barrel- shaped reserve with border, which is the silver standard mark for 800 standard silver, used in the provinces from 1819-1838;
3. The head of Hercules facing right in an oval reserve, which is the guarantee mark used in the provinces from 1819-1838. The 16 indicates La Rochelle in the Lower Charente department. Ref: Tardy, 20th edition, p.198.

You don't show a maker's mark.

Hope this helps.
anikopol
contributor

Post by anikopol »

Hi JayT,

Thanks for your comments : I did not recognise the giraffe head recount mark before.
Concerning the silvermith mark : on another part of the item (not visible here), I have a trace of something which I suppose was the trace of an unreadable lozange-shape mark of silvermith.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You're welcome anikopol!
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

One observation: I think I see a pellet under the numeral "1" in the département number "16" with Hercules's head. If so, this would indicate the second Charente-Inférieure assay office, which was in Saintes.
anikopol
contributor

Post by anikopol »

Hi Blackstone,
well done !

I had a closer look, and I think you are right and that there is a pellet. What is a bit suprising is that the pellet is not exactly under the number "1", it is most precisely between the bottom of the "1" and the mouth of the man. Till know, I though that pellets (when they were present) where exactly under the figure.

Return to “French Silver”