Maker help request - horseshoe in mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Maker help request - horseshoe in mark

Post by SilverK »

I wonder whether anyone can help me identify the French maker for this item and an approximate date. It looks like 'S horseshoe W' (whilst the picture suggests an M, the other maker's mark on the piece shows the final stroke of the 'W'). The horseshoe even has nails!

...and what do you think this might be? It obviously hangs from something and the base is as detailed as the sides (so was designed to be visible). I think the dark grooves between the diamonds on the body are coloured with niello. It's large and heavy as well, measuring 14 cm in diameter. Is this possibly one of the hanging baskets of an almighty epergne?

As always, any views welcome.

JayT
contributor

Re: Maker help request - horseshoe in mark

Post by JayT »

Your object is made of 800 standard silver as shown by the Minerva head in a barrel-shaped reserve. There is a mark by Minerva's forehead that I'm unable to make out, showing the province where your item was made. Once you have identified the province, it might be easier to find the maker, although references for French provincial makers are not complete. It was made between 1838-1972; not much help on date until the maker is found. Tardy's 20th edition has a list of provincial identifiers (différents) on pp. 201-202.

To be certain that this is not a Paris maker I checked both volumes of Arminjon and the French Ministry of Culture website for both SM and SW, without success.

The item's function is not clear; the French didn't produce many epergnes.

Good luck in your research.
SilverK
contributor

Re: Maker help request - horseshoe in mark

Post by SilverK »

Hi JayT.

Thanks very much indeed for your helpful response. Looking closely with a loupe by the right of her forehead, I see what looks like a number 7, rather like the Clermont-Fd mark in Tardy, but rotated about 80 degrees so the vertical bar of the '7' is completely horizontal. Does this sound correct and does that help?

Regards,

Silverk.

Return to “French Silver”