Ernest Prost French Marks Unknown

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GregHodgson1
contributor

Ernest Prost French Marks Unknown

Post by GregHodgson1 »

Hi,

I have a baby pusher and spoon. It is boxed with the inside stating "au lingot d;or, grande place, lille.

I have identified the Minerva 1 which tells me it is first standard also the maker who I believe to be Ernest Prost. I am unsure of the date as he is listed as anything from 1923 to 1963. I don't think this is as as late as 63 but I am no expert (yet!)

I have taken some close up pictures of the marks I cannot identify. These resemble anything from an insect to a hummingbird.

I would appreciate if someone could help me out with this.

I have included as much information as I can to inform your thinking. Apologies for the not rotating pictures!

Thanks. G
X
X
JayT
contributor

Re: Ernest Prost French Marks Unknown

Post by JayT »

Congratulations on all your research!

This baby feeding set was retailed by Au Lingot d'Or in Lille. The maker was Ernest Prost, working in Paris at 7, rue Réaumur. He first registered a mark on 23 August 1923, and was struck from the register on 2 February 1963. See the French Ministry of Culture website. There is no way to narrow the date of production of your item unless you can find the dates of operation of the retailer.

The other mark is called the bigorneor counter mark, found on the opposite side of the silver standard mark. For much more information on the counter mark, please use the search function.

Hope this helps a bit.
GregHodgson1
contributor

Post by GregHodgson1 »

Many thanks JayT.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure.

Return to “French Silver”