Fork Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
moonshine

Fork Marks

Post by moonshine »

Hello. I tried researching online, but could not find the maker J A F. 7 1/2 inches, and heavy at 88 grams. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Zilver2
contributor

Re: Fork Marks

Post by Zilver2 »

Hello,
The maker's mark belongs to Jean Antoine Fauve, Paris.
I only know that he was active between 1771 and 1809.
I hope that other members will give you more info regarding this silversmith.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

To add to Zilver2's excellent information:

Fauve's mark was JAF and his symbol, a warbler (une fauvette) under a crowned fleur-de-lys and 2 grains. He registered his mark on 27 February 1771, and was listed until 1806, according to Nocq.

Fauve worked in Paris at various locations: cul-de-sac St. Martial, cour du May, 17 rue de la Calandre.

Fauve was known to make high quality goods, but due to his modest circumstances, was obliged to work as a sub-contractor (un façonnier). He started his career as a hollowware maker, and ended as a flatware maker.

Fauve had a younger brother, Pierre-Marie, also a silversmith (active 1777-1782) who also worked at the cour du May address, presumably with Jean-Antoine. He died young in 1782.

See Nocq, v. 2, p. 163.

The date letter mark on your fork is not clear, and you haven't shown the charge and discharge marks well, so date of production will have to remain ca. late 1780s.

In post-Revolutionary times, Fauve's mark was JAF in a lozenge-shaped reserve with a warbler above. No. Préfecture 4, No. de Garantie 13. He was therefore one of the first to register a mark under the new régime. Arminjon calls him a flatware maker and lists 2 addresses: 17 rue de la Calandre, and in 1811, 7 rue de la Licorne. He was listed in the Almanach Azur until 1821. Therefore she has him working later than Nocq does.

See Arminjon, v. 1, no. 01509, p. 171.

The rise of sub-contractors in the late 18thC was the beginning of proto-industrialization in the silver trade in Paris. Silversmiths had always joined together to assist each other when one received a large order, but this was something different. By the end of the first decade of the 19thC, sub-contracting was firmly established.

I notice this dinner fork, in the thread or filet pattern, has the same personalizations as the spoon you posted earlier, so presumably is from the same owner.

I'm sure this is too much info for your needs, but it is always amazing what one humble object can reveal.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

According to the surviving indices of the Paris état civil (the pre-1860 registers themselves were destroyed in 1872), Jean-Antoine Fauve died on 8 Apr 1825 in the Vaugirard suburb of Paris (now in the 15th arrondissement).
moonshine

Post by moonshine »

Great information. Very much appreciated. Thank you all.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You're welcome.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

I found the actual death record for Fauve, which gave some additional information (translated and paraphrased):

Jean Antoine Fauve, silversmith, died 8 Apr 1825, age 81, at his residence at Vaugirard, rue Blomet No. 24, born in Morangis, Seine-et-Oise, son of Antoine Fauve and Louise Rigault, married in 1785 to Marie Madeleine Fanost, his widow.

Return to “French Silver”