Maker's Mark ID Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
moonshine

Maker's Mark ID Spoon

Post by moonshine »

Hello All. Could anyone identify this Maker's mark please. Looks to be IAB. The rest of the marks are very rubbed, except for what looks like a laurel wreath mark, which I think I've identified from an article on ASCAS, as a charge mark 1762-68? Thank you in advance.

JayT
contributor

Re: Maker's Mark ID Spoon

Post by JayT »

Here is some feedback on your spoon:
-It appears to be 18th C France; pattern is called uniplat; if it is about 21 cm long, it is a tablespoon.
-The charge mark that you reference of crossed laurel branches is for very small objects (menus ouvrages) and thus would not appear on a spoon; the outline of the mark you show is circular and not irregular or jagged as the crossed branches would be.
-The mark you show might be a discharge mark, but its relative size and placement are not clear from your photos.
-In my opinion this spoon was made in the provinces, not Paris. The larger mark you show appears to have a crown, but I don't see a fleur-de-lys, and the two grains are on either side of the B rather than at the top of the mark.
-I could not find a maker in Nocq with initials IAB or LAB that matches.

Hopefully someone who recognizes the mark will chime in for you.

Good luck!
moonshine

Post by moonshine »

Thank you JayT for your response.
The laurel branches? mark is the last mark, of what I'm guessing were 4 marks, though only 3 are now visible, and it is in the top direction.
How about Maker's mark INB, the second letter is cut off towards the right side, so could be an N rather than an A. Thanks!

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Yes, the circular mark you show by its size and placement is a discharge mark. As I mentioned, I believe your object is French provincial silver. Perhaps someone with better resources than I have will be able to help you identify the place of manufacture and maker.
Regards,
JayT
moonshine

Post by moonshine »

Thanks again.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You're welcome!

Return to “French Silver”