Mystery French Maker Mark 18th century

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
CHIMS181514

Mystery French Maker Mark 18th century

Post by CHIMS181514 »

I've been able to identify the Paris charge to 1783. Parrot head, 1781-1789, and the bug/fly 1789 (please correct me if any on these are wrong). But I cannot figure out the hallmarks above or below the Paris charge. I assume one is a makers mark but am not sure which one. I searched in vein but could not match the hallmarks to anything (see two photos through the jewelers loop)
Image Image
JayT
contributor

Re: Mystery French Maker Mark 18th century

Post by JayT »

Hello
You're doing pretty well on your identification; just a little off on the dates.

The first mark - which you call an insect - appears to be a maker's mark in poor condition. I don't think you'll be able to identify the maker from this partial mark.

Next up is the crowned A with a feathered right leg - the charge mark- in use from 1783-89.
Follows the poinçon de Jurande or date letter mark of a crowned P. You might be able to make out the two numbers above the P and under the crown: 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, or 89. To me it looks like the P 87 used in 1787. See what you think.

Then there is the parrot head discharge mark, also in use from 1783-89.

Finally the small mark that looks like a vase. This might be a poinçon de reconnaissance although your photo doesn't do it justice.

As you seem to be interested in French pre-Revolutionary marks, a good source is the 20th edition of Tardy, Poinçons d'Argent.

Hope this helps a bit.
CHIMS181514

Post by CHIMS181514 »

Thank you so much for your information. It made a huge difference. You are correct in the 1787. For forum purposes I included another photo with the 87 showing a better angle. As for the maker mark, I cleaned it up with an ultrasonic brush and used my 60x lenses to get a better photo. Mind you this hallmark is half the size of a grain of rice! Do you think it could be Louis-Julien Anthiaume? I'm thinking it could be a J and hoping there's only one maker from that time with a J as a second initial, seeing as the whole left side of the hallmark is missing?
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Glad to help.

I would be very reluctant to make an attribution to a specific maker based on such a partial mark. There are quite a few makers with J as a second initial, so it is hard to narrow it to Anthiaume.

Good luck in your research!

Return to “French Silver”