Help with a potentially early French Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dlmuk

Help with a potentially early French Hallmark

Post by dlmuk »

Hi there

I have acquired some silver gilt pieces from a Necessaire de Voyage, and I am struggling to find a date and a maker's mark. I was wondering if anyone may be able to kindly help me with this?

The matching marks seem to have a lady's face looking viewer's left with a '1' by it. Additionally there is a diamond lozenge shape that has the initials 'PL' in it.

Do these give any clues?

Many thanks to anyone who can help

JayT
contributor

Re: Help with a potentially early French Hallmark

Post by JayT »

Thank you for your clear photos.

Yes this an early 19th century maker, but not early in the overall scheme of things.

The maker's mark in a lozenge-shaped reserve is that of Pierre Lapin. His symbols were a pansy and a rosebud une pensée et une rosette. He first registered a mark in 1803; no end date is given, but he was still listed in a trade journal, Almanach Azur until 1822. Lapin worked in Paris at 36 rue St-Eloi, and then after 1811 at 166 rue St-Martin. His specialty was nécessaires. He worked in silver and silverplate.

See Arminjon, v. I, no.03004, p.297.

The woman's head in an oval reserve is an unofficial mark of the Association des orfèvres used first in the post-Revolutionary period for a span of up to 50 years. Please use the search function here for some interesting information about this mark.

There should also be a silver standard mark on these items, probably on the rims of the jar covers.
dlmuk

Post by dlmuk »

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me!

This is great information. There does seem to be the silver mark on the rims as you mentioned. Additionally, there is a '1' on both the small perfume lids.

Might you know what grade of silver this is? I assume its more than 925.

My sincere thanks again
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

The silver standard is likely 950, but could be 800 depending on the appearance of the marks. To verify, please show us a photo. To my lasting regret, France adopted the sterling standard (925) in 1972 to conform with European Union norms.
dlmuk

Post by dlmuk »

Which mark are you referring to? The one you told me to look out for on the rim?
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Yes, the one on the rim.
dlmuk

Post by dlmuk »

Im not sure if the second will be clear enough for you...

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Thanks for the additional images.

Good news! You can now narrow the date of production of your nécessaire. The first photo shows the axe wrapped in fasces, the silver standard mark for small objects, used 1798-1809. Lapin first registered in 1803, therefore your objects were made between 1803 and 1809. Small, light objects had to be 800 standard silver or higher, but their silver content was not rigorously controlled.

Indeed I can't see the second mark clearly. Does it look like an animal head?
dlmuk

Post by dlmuk »

Your knowledge on this subject is incredibly impressive! Thank you so much for giving me your time.
I am struggling to make out what that mark is in the second photo - it is only looking like a random shape with no discernible detail.
The fact that you can date it to within a 6 year period is more than I could ever expect.
May I ask what the '1' next to the woman in the oval represents?
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You are too kind.

Tardy tells us that the 1 to the right of the head of a Greek woman in an oval was a date letter for 1794-97. However, this unofficial mark was used for a period of up to 50 years. The search function will give you a number of posts on this mark.

Regards,
JayT

Return to “French Silver”