Ramu Dufour marks--Swiss Silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gerald Bamberger

Ramu Dufour marks--Swiss Silver

Post by Gerald Bamberger »

I have attached photos of spoons and forks which I am quite certain are pieces by Ramu Dufour. This explains the "RAMU" mark found to the far right in each photo. But I am still trying to decode the other two marks. The mark in the center appears to be a diamond shape enclosing a letter "P" followed by some symbol followed by a letter "Q." The mark on the far left appears to be something inside an octagon. Any help with these marks would be much appreciated!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Ramu Dufour marks--Swiss Silver

Post by dognose »

Hi Gerald,

Welcome to the Forum.

See QUEILLÉ at: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... %89#p94739

Trev.
Gerald Bamberger

Thank you so much! Certainly does appear to be the Queillé mark, not sure how this meshes with Ramu Dufour, but quite a jump start. Any thoughts on relating the shape of the oar to the date of the mark?

I'm naively assuming the octagonal mark to the left is a purity mark.
Gerald Bamberger

Regarding the octagonal punch on the left--only photo #2 is clear--it appears to me upon further study (with much help from the lead from dognose) that it is a Mercury mark, though I'm not sure what purity it indicates. Again, thanks for any and all help!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Gerald,

I've enlarged your image:

Hopefully another member can explain more to us.

Trev.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
The Mercury head facing left in an octagonal reserve is a French export mark for 950 standard silver, used 1840-1879. See Tardy, 20th edition, p. 204.
The particular Queillé mark you show is generally thought to have been used 1847-1895. This is by consensus because there is no hard data of which I'm aware. As you know the Queillé family were silversmiths and cutlers for almost a century, and their mark had some variations throughout their years of operation. Therefore, given the dates of the export mark and the maker's mark, you could date your flatware roughly to the second or third quarter of the nineteenth century (ca. 1847-1879).
The RAMU mark would be that of the retailer. Perhaps the retailer's dates of operation might help you to further narrow the timeframe.
Hope this helps.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

P.S.
The pattern of your partial dessert (?) service appears to be Queillé's Contours Louis XV. If you showed the face of the pieces I could be certain.
Source: Allan, David. Le Couvert & la Coutellerie de Table Française du XIXe Siècle. Dijon, Éditions Faton, 2007. p. 174.
Gerald Bamberger

MORE PIX:

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Thanks for the additional images and measurements. Yes, this is the Contours Louis XV pattern, and you have a dessert service service à entremets.
Gerald Bamberger

Thank you to dognose and JayT for your invaluable help!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure!
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi Gerald
Jean-Pierre-Louis Ramu-Dufour lived from 1796 to 1852. He was also retailer, not only maker.
JayT narrowed the date to 1847-1879. If this Ramu was the retailer, your date narrows to 1847-1852.
However, I do not know if another Ramu continued the business.
Anyway, you have a nice set, did some research and learned a lot on French silver markings. Enjoy using your set.
Regards, Jörg

Return to “French Silver”