Maker's Mark ID Snuff Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
marc1

Maker's Mark ID Snuff Box

Post by marc1 »

Hi all,

I have got this snuff box, I think it is from 19th century, it has two marks: Minerve, 1st standard and second one, the silversmith's mark.
The interior was gilded. I have not been able to identify the silversmith's mark.
Could anyone identify this Maker's mark and specify the antiquity?

Many thaks.
Best regards.
Marc.

JayT
contributor

Re: Maker's Mark ID Snuff Box

Post by JayT »

Hello Marc
Your box is made of 950 standard silver. It was made in the French provinces sometime between 1838-1972. The symbol under Minerva's chin will tell you in which department your box was made. It is too blurry on my monitor to decipher.

The maker's mark is also worn. You'll need at least the first letter to help you find the name of the maker and his dates of operation. Both halves of the box should be marked, so perhaps there are some clearer marks to be seen?

Good luck with your research!
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

It is blurry, but I think it's the mark of the assay office in Versailles, in the Yvelines (originally Seine-et-Oise) département. If so, your box dates no later than 31 Dec 1889, when the Versailles assay office was closed. Unfortunately I don't have a reference on Versailles makers.
marc1

Post by marc1 »

Hi,

Many thanks for the information, I didn't know the symbol under Minerva's chin for provinces and this is correct,
it's the Versailles mark(TARDY page 201).

Many thanks again.
Besta regards.
Marc.

Return to “French Silver”