Armorial Charger 18th C.?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Armorial Charger 18th C.?

Post by Aguest »

Possibly a French Armorial Charger from France 18th Century?

"P" is more similar to that used in Amiens (1779) or Angers (1729) France" is another possibility here?

The reason that this armorial charger was not tested for higher silver content is because the group of antiques dealers were convinced it was from Portugal, and the minimum standard fineness from Portugal is .750, so this tray did test for that minimum fineness.
See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 24&t=47812
As far as I understand it, there could be a higher silver content, but it did at least test at a minimum of .750. It was tested in a small place on the back of the tray by a silver dealer who has been in the trade for many years.

This is very difficult, because in my research into the specific coat-of-arms, now I have seen a similar example (with a bird in one panel and three other panels have lines in them) which comes from Italy. So there is the possibility that this is Italian, and the "CROWN P" hallmarks could refer to a province in Italy 18th century, which makes this even more confusing now.

I am really confused here.
Here is the French charge hallmark used from 1750-1775.

Perhaps this "P" is the "P" which we are attempting to interpret its significance?

One "P" is right next to the makers mark and the other "P" is located on the interior surface of the tray.
Better pics of the hallmark:

This could even be Hanau silver from Germany circa 1900, which often made pieces in the historical style.

I guess the marks were not meant to simulate French silver, or perhaps they were, in any event I am looking for a Hanau silver maker from Germany now.
Last edited by oel on Tue May 30, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Armorial Charger 18th C.?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Cardinal’s coat of arms. A galero, broad-brimmed red hat with a cord and 15 red tassels on each side of their shield in their arms.
If the Cardinal is identified that would narrow the search.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Cardinal’s coat of arms. A galero, broad-brimmed hat with a cord and 15 red tassels on each side of their shield in their arms.
Two-barred cross is used by or to signify or dignify an archbishop.
If the Cardinal is identified that would narrow the search.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Tried to find a match, but failed, haven't found anything quite like it.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Found another example of this "P With Crown" hallmark, Hanau Silver, circa 1900, this might be of some assistance to people who find this mark on Hanau silver, haven't found the Hanau maker yet, but most likely the makers mark is unrecorded as there are no German assay marks.

Hanau Germany 1900.

Return to “French Silver”