Is this spoon French please ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Yellowhawk

Is this spoon French please ?

Post by Yellowhawk »

I have had this spoon for a number of years and have never been able to locate the marks, there is a small mark on the stem and then EV either side of a fleur de lys with three dots, I dont seem to be able to add photos !

AG2012
contributor

Re: Is this spoon French please ?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The stork holding a black eel is in the coat of arms of The Hague, but I cannot recognize any Dutch silver marks.
Regards
Yellowhawk

Post by Yellowhawk »

Aah thank you, gives me another avenue to explore !
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, this stork and eel/snake does not represent the coat of arms of The Hague.
For The Hague see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_The_Hague

STORK: To many cultures a sacred bird and one lavished with symbolism. Storks are the sworn foes of snakes, hence the veneration in which they are held. Storks are also ancient fertility symbols and are typically associated with springtime and birth. In Germanic states, storks found human infants called "stork-children" dwelling in caves hidden in rocky steeps called "Adeborsteine" or "stork-stones," and carried them to their expectant parents. They are said to feed their elderly parents, therefore storks have long been symbolic of filial piety or gratitude. They are emblems of immortality and longevity, vigilance, contemplation, prudence, piety, meditation, and chastity. Aristotle taught that the jealous male bird would put an unfaithful mate to death for her transgressions. Christians regarded the stork as a symbol for Christ and His disciples because it was the terror of snakes that represented Satan and his demons.

Regarding the maker's mark I checked my Dutch and Belgian reference books, no match.

Best,
Oel.
Yellowhawk

Post by Yellowhawk »

Thank you, well I am none the wiser, any clues please anyone ?

Return to “French Silver”