French Tureen - can you identify the maker's mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GrannysCollection

French Tureen - can you identify the maker's mark?

Post by GrannysCollection »

Hi there,

I have what I think is a French silver maker's mark. But I have not been able to determine the who's the maker. Its interesting because there is a sideways view of a foot and maybe a view of the bottom of a foot next to it? The lozenge is also turned on its point.

This lozenge is located on the very bottom inside of the pedestal of a tureen which might be silver. However the inside is very gold in colour!

Can anyone identify this mark and the timeframe of when this tureen may have been made? Many many thanks!

oel
co-admin

Re: French Tureen - can you identify the maker's mark?

Post by oel »

Hi, are there no other marks, only the maker's mark in a lozenge?
GrannysCollection

Unfortunately I looked all over very closely and I can not find any other mark. Could it be silver plated? Do you need more photos? Thanks again for any help!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, thanks. French plate marks are usually in a square. Let us wait for our French connoisseurs to reply.

Best,

Peter
Zilver2
contributor

Post by Zilver2 »

HI,

Mark of Eugène Delebois.
Paris
Symbol : a foot of Mercury (un pied de Mercure)
Mark entered 1827

Best,
Zilver2
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Eugène Ulysse Délébois

Born: 11 Jun 1799 [23 Prairial an VII], Armentières, Nord, son of Jean Baptiste Marie Délébois & Albertine Marie Joseph Vaubeddeghem

Married: 4 Aug 1825, St. Merry, Paris, to Louise Péronne Sébastienne Orsier (b. ca. 1802), daughter Joseph Orsier & Geneviève Marie Hérault

Died: 24 Nov 1875, Colombes, Hauts-de-Seine

His first mark was registered 16 Jan 1827, 25 rue de Harlay, and cancelled 19 Jul 1842; he second, identical mark was registered at the same address the next day, 20 Jul 1842. There is no cancellation date for this second mark, but he is listed as a manufacturing silversmith at the rue de Harlay adress only until 1843, and then in 1844 at the same address with Jules Ferrier (for whom no mark was registered) and thereafter neither Délébois nor Ferrier are listed. So presumably Délébois retired or relocated in 1844/45.

On his death record, Délébois’ son, Charles Gustav Délébois (b.22 May 1840, Paris, 11e arrondissement), is described as a silversmith at 70 rue Oberkampf, but the younger Délébois does not appear to have registered a mark either.
GrannysCollection

Thanks everyone. This is fascinating information! I assume then that the lozenge has a foot with a wing on it? It hard to see the wing properly.

This forum is an invaluable resource. Much appreciated!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

To add to the excellent information posted so far, I believe this item is a covered sugar bowl, not a tureen, because of the restricted opening and the gilt interior.

Return to “French Silver”