3 marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
agsearcher

3 marks

Post by agsearcher »

Hello. Is anyone familiar with these marks. My guess is French provincial, but I'm not really sure.
On heavy gauge silver wine taster.
There may be another small mark as well which I will post a photo of, but it may just be a blemish.
Thank you.

JayT
contributor

Re: 3 marks

Post by JayT »

The marks aren't speaking to me. Where are they placed? By regulation, wine tasters should be marked on the rim near the handle, the handle, and the thumb piece, if there is one.
The inscription of Chassagne is that of one of the great regions in Burgundy.
My best guess is that your wine taster is an object made for the tourist trade.
Best wishes for your continuing research.
agsearcher

Post by agsearcher »

Hello. Thank you for response. The 3 marks on on the bottom of the piece.
Some more photos. Thanks.

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Thanks for the additional pictures.
Neither the placement or the form of these marks indicate silver. Have you considered pewter?
agsearcher

Post by agsearcher »

Did some more research. Found posted on ascas photo of a piece with marks on the base, like mine, and one of them looks similar. Also an article stating: "It is not unusual to find thrice marked French silver, “the piece is usually ascribed to a subscriber-master (‘Ma?tre-Abonn?’).” Perhaps I'm reaching. Any feedback appreciated.

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Maître abonné marks are those of a maker stamped 2 or 3 times: initials with a symbol. The marks on your object do not resemble maker's marks.
Tastevins are picturesque objects, often made to satisfy the tourist trade and as promotional items for commercial wine producers. I don't believe that yours is a genuine 18th C tastevin.

Return to “French Silver”