Post by Anto »

Hello,

I need your help for this mark :

JayT
contributor

Re: Help for a french maker's mark

Post by JayT »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Kindly show us clear pictures of the other marks, and tell us what kind of object you have. Such information will help in researching the date and place of manufacture, as well as allowing confirmation of the maker.
Regards,
JayT
Anto

Post by Anto »

Thank you JayT for your answer.

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Thank you for this additional information which helps to identify the maker of this covered sugar bowl. All parts of the object should be marked, including the cover. I assume that the vermeil spoons and sugar nip are by a different maker, and are not original to the bowl.

The bowl in the Empire style was made in Paris between 1798-1809, as seen by the standing cock in an octagonal reserve for 950 standard silver, and the guarantee mark of a man’s head in an oval reserve with the number 85 for Paris. The maker was Antoine Hience whose mark was his initials AH with the symbol of two crossed anchors (deux ancres en sautoir) in a lozenge-shaped reserve on the longitudinal axis. Hience made hollowware (la grosserie), registering his first mark (this one) in 1798, for his address at 36, quai des Orfèvres, and his second mark on 8 September 1821, for his address at 60, quai des Orfèvres. His mark was erased on 22 September 1828.

See Arminjon, v.I, no. 00213, p. 63.

Hope this helps.
Anto

Post by Anto »

Hello JayT and thank you very muche for your answer and all this information about Antoine Hience, which are very interesting !

I agree with you about the spoons and the sugar nip are not the originals and made by Hénin & Cie around 1900.

Thanks again,
Anto
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure!

Return to “French Silver”