Unknown maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kirils
contributor

Unknown maker

Post by Kirils »

Hello. Have this beautiful Silver cake spatula from the beginning of 19th century. Can someone please help me identify this maker? Looks like two letters LI with a bell and a cup.

juantotree
contributor

Re: Unknown maker

Post by juantotree »

Hi

I think what you describe as a bell is a rubbed letter A. I believe this is the mark of Louis Angee.

Martin
Kirils
contributor

Post by Kirils »

juantotree wrote:Hi

I think what you describe as a bell is a rubbed letter A. I believe this is the mark of Louis Angee.

Martin
Thank you for your time and help. Yes it does look like letter A and like Louis Angee
Zilver2
contributor

Post by Zilver2 »

This is the hallmark of Louis-Isidore Angée.
18 place Dauphine, Paris (1)
2 rue Pont de Lodi, Paris (2)
Active from 1798 until 1807.
Symbol : a funerary urn (une urne funeraire)
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Zilver2 has made a transcription error here; the dates and addresses given are for Louis-Jacques Berger, not Louis Isidore Angée. (They appear on the same page of Arminjon I and the marks look similar – an easy mistake to make!)

Angée registered his first mark on 1 Apr 1834 at 11 Place Dauphine; he cancelled that mark on 30 May 1842, and registered a second, identical mark on the same day at the same address. There is no cancellation date for this second mark, but his last listing in Didot’s Commercial Annual is in 1852.

Louis Isidore Angée was born on 3 Jun 1805 in Les Authiuex-Papion, Calvados, the son Jean-Francois Angée & Francoise Ursule Jule Demont. He married in Paris, 2e arronsdissement, on 12 Apr 1834 to Jeanne Augustine Elisa Moullyot. Unfortuately, I have not found a record for his death but, as noted, he appeared to be working until at least 1852.

Return to “French Silver”