contributor

Very rare and solid Silver from Christofle

Post by Dendriet »

Hi.

I would like to know what it is for?
In my opinion, no sugar tongs

He is solid and heavy in weight
Maybe for asparagus?
This Makers Mark is from Charles Christoffle - C.C. (before 1935)

The Makers Mark of Christofle shown on this site (mark for solid silverware) is from after 1935
http://www.925-1000.com/a_christofle.html
I have searched for everything, little or no information

legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Very rare and solid Silver from Christofle

Post by legrandmogol »

asparagus is a good bet but it would help to know the items dimensions
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

I suppose it to be an ice-cube tongue.
Regards silverfan
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Christofle made very distinctive asparagus tongs in silver-plate. I see no reason they would execute something completely different in solid silver.
Used for sugar or ice cubes makes more sense.
Regards
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

#legrandmogol #silverfan #AG2012

Thank you very much for this discussion
Asparagus tongs was more or less a suggestion
For sugar and ice tongs. I see more with spoon-like or with claws.
Perhaps for something else ( because of the soft shape of the catchers )
I also have no idea.

But what is also very important to me is the age.
Pure guesswork, I would say around 1860.
But would like to have proof
Hopefully I will get an answer
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Christofle did make individual asparagus tongs, here is an illustration from their 1906 catalogue:

Trev.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

I could find something with the same floral motifs

SERVICE A PETITS FOURS AND ARGENT MINERVE - ORFEVRE CHRISTOFLE - MODEL MARLY

To be continued
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

The length doesn't really distinguish it from sugar or ice tongs, a mere 2 cm is nothing. It is the hook-like ends that would make it inconvenient for sugar or ice. They do not appear to be ideal for gripping such things. The best bet is still Asparagus. These being the earlier Christofle marks they could just be an earlier version than the more common silver plate ones that are now commonly seen.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Hi legrandmogol,

Consideration has been given to how this tool can be used to its best advantage
Brilliant, you can read my mind :) :)

If I found The Great Mogul, I'll let you know
I first have to solve this problem.

If only I could see when this Makers Mark was taken into use.
That is why I have now opted for a different strategy to reach a date via the Pattern.

I have the time, but if someone has the solution, I would like to.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Hi,

I am 100% sure that it is an old, and perhaps the first Makers Mark of Charles Christofle.

It is a nice atmosphere photo of Maitre - Orfevre / Mastersilversmith - Charles Christofle - 8 rue Royale Paris.

On the left side a reference to the Makers Mark from before 1935 with the guarantee of 950 silver etc. etc.

On the right-hand side between the text of House "Charles Christofle" Paris, stands the old Maker Mark in the spotlight. (exactly the same as I was shown)

I'm not going to post this picture here because of (photo) rights.
Now I am very curious about this age, which is understandable.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

It does not matter to me at the moment whether it is a sugar tongs, an ice tongs or an asparagus tongs (multifunctionality)

My priorities are now on the date
My findings remain unchanged around 1860.

Since it is now a holiday period, it seems wiser to wait for it, that our experts will pay attention to it

For me it has already succeeded

To be continued
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

At first I took this information for true

SERVICE A PETITS FOURS AND ARGENT MINERVE - ORFEVRE CHRISTOFLE - MODEL MARLY

This Pattern is exactly similar.

But Design Studio Christofle, mention the following about Pattern Marly:

Created in 1897, this pattern owes its name to the Marly chateau built near Paris by Louis XIV
as a pleasure palace, no longer standing today. Marly is one of the most elaborately decorated
patterns of the collection; the fine chasing of its asymmetrical plant motifs, typical of the
“Rocaille” or Louis XV style, highlight the silversmith’s expertise and attention to detail

This Pattern is different

Nevertheless, it remains a rare piece that you encounter quickly, because they are owned by collectors and the rich
This has remained unnoticed because it is not marked with the company name Christofle

My question is is my Pattern a Marly or not?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Just placing search terms commonly used to describe similar adornment of china in this era: acanthus scrolls. [There are so many versions that distinct patterns can only be separated by details like little nuances between the leaves.] Acanthus designs are very common in the 1880-1915 (general) period...not sure if they would match up to your earlier estimated date.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Traintime, thanks for your reaction

The easiest way is to Christofle itself
Christofle and Robbe and Berking work at the same level and market share
Both have many clientele among the nobility and royal families and the nouveau riche

At Robbe and Berking I have the contact directly in Flensburg.
There I have obtained the internal documents in PDF with permission, where all Patterns in Silver and silvered are listed on date of introduction / modification, etc and end date.
Patterns change regularly and are also indicated in the above PDF
In short, very extensive so you can determine the exact date.

Contact with Christofle is already, but is not the right time for this (time pressure / vacations etc.)
I have more questions that can solve here.
That is the easiest and fastest way.

Why I am still here on the forum, is more or less pastime and hobby, I would like to involve the people here how certain investigations run.

But there are people, who have the right books, and I appeal to them, if they can tell me when this maker mark was used
So I'm very curious about that
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

At SMPub and this site, there is no information about this Makers Mark
Typically, it shows that it has not often been questioned or found.

Hopefully more success after this holiday period
Then looking further, it wants to get solved
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Des cheminées dans la Plaine : cent ans d'industrie à Saint-Denis autour de Christofle (1830-1930)

Christofle Louis XV Chrysanthèmes decor is the precursor of the decor Marly

This is the right pattern
Gradually I continue

To be continued
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

silverfan wrote:I suppose it to be an ice-cube tongue.
Regards silverfan
AG2012 wrote:Christofle made very distinctive asparagus tongs in silver-plate. I see no reason they would execute something completely different in solid silver.
Used for sugar or ice cubes makes more sense.
Regards
legrandmogol wrote:The length doesn't really distinguish it from sugar or ice tongs, a mere 2 cm is nothing. It is the hook-like ends that would make it inconvenient for sugar or ice. They do not appear to be ideal for gripping such things. The best bet is still Asparagus. These being the earlier Christofle marks they could just be an earlier version than the more common silver plate ones that are now commonly seen.
dognose wrote:Christofle did make individual asparagus tongs, here is an illustration from their 1906 catalogue:Trev.
From the Catalog, which is all in silver plate
There is nothing to be found in solid silver
“Pince a sucre Grande”
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Please send the correct date of this Makers Mark of “Charles Christofle”, and win a free walk to Lourdes back and forth
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello Dendriet
You make me laugh. Hope somebody wins your wonderful prize of a walking tour to Lourdes, barefoot I presume!
Congratulations on all your research to date on this object, and thank you for your great photos. I concur that it is a sugar tongs. It does not resemble French asparagus servers, and this form of tongs is well known for Christofle. The length doesn’t bother me, as French sugar bowls can be quite large and would require a longer tongs.
This model in Louis XV style with chrysanthemums - a nod to the popularity of japonisme - dates it to the last quarter of the XIX century in my opinion. David Allan shows several models of flatware in the japonisme style, exhibited at the Expositions universelles of 1889 and 1900. Some Christofle designs were patented, so you might have luck with dates by doing a patent search.
As to Christofle’s maker’s mark for 950 standard silver, it is the initials CC in a lozenge with clipped corners, bee below and three stars above (CC dans un lozenge horizontal coupé, une abeille et trois étoiles au-dessus).
Christofle first began marking its 950 standard silver in 1846 according to Christofle itself in an exhibition catalogue celebrating their 150th anniversary. Arminjon tells us the mark was registered in 1853. There wasn’t an earlier mark for 950 standard silver.
The company was founded by the jeweller Charles Christofle in 1830, and began making silver and silver plated objects only in 1845. So it would not be possible to have a Christofle silver object dating to before 1845.
The CC mark was replaced in 1935 by a mark that you also show in a lozenge shaped reserve with initials OC, bee and stars.
The problem is that the mark on your tongs does not have a lozenge with clipped corners, but rather a plain lozenge. It also has the Minerva head indicating 950 standard. I don’t believe this means that the mark dates before 1846-1853, and the style would certainly rule this out. So this mark remains a mystery.
Unfortunately the Christofle museum closed some years ago, and the archives are not accessible.
I feel comfortable stating that the design of your tongs would not date them to before 1880, and to my knowledge Christofle France never had a maker’s mark in a plain lozenge. But if proved wrong, I volunteer to walk to Lourdes backwards!
Good luck in your ongoing research.

Christofle: 150 ans d’art et de rêve. Dossier de l’art 2, Juillet-Août, 1991.

Allan, David. Le couvert et la coutellerie de table française du XIX siècle. Dijon, Éditions Faton, 2007.
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Hi JayT,

I read your message completely yesterday.
I decided to leave this untouched, so that more people would respond if they saw your name, with any useful tips. (the number of vieuws did rise well)
JayT wrote:Hello Dendriet
You make me laugh. Hope somebody wins your wonderful prize of a walking tour to Lourdes, barefoot I presume!
I am glad that I have been able to let you work a few muscles.
I have done the last days around the house overdue maintenance (after the tropical heat) of the garden, and I still feel that.
There has been much more to discover in this study and see that many (antiqairs, vendu houses etc.) work with incorrect data and other sales tricks
JayT wrote:I feel comfortable stating that the design of your tongs would not date them to before 1880, and to my knowledge Christofle France never had a maker’s mark in a plain lozenge. But if proved wrong, I volunteer to walk to Lourdes backwards!
Working with Google Chrome goes much deeper into the research.
There are others that I have found, but if you click on it, the site is gone, only the picture remains
I can assure you that I am not the only one, I found this yesterday.
It is unfortunately all commercial sites that can not be shown here.

The text alone is allowed.

"Gorgeous Antique Silver Strawberry Service Spoon by Christofle~Sold~"

A lovely find, quite rare to come by.
This gorgeous Antique French Silver Strawberry Service Spoon or ‘Pelle a Fraise’is by CHRISTOFLE.
Though mostly known today for his work in silver plated items, Christofle also had hefty collection of Silver items that could be ordered on special request.
This gorgeous piece came also as sugar sifter and as strawberry silverware sold by sets of twelve.
It was originally proposed in plated metal but could be, as is the case with our piece, ordered in solid silver!
This precise model was created in 1898 as is stated in David ALLAN’s lovely book “Le Couvert et La Coutellerie” page 220.
The shape of the spoon itself takes after the form of a Strawberry, while the handle is made out to represent a Strawberry plant, complete with leaves and flowers as well as fruits.
The work is just exquisite!
On our gorgeous piece the spoon is 18 carat gold plated.
It is absolutely beautiful and in mint condition! A beauty!

The Hallmark is Minerve 1 -1st title – Hence 1838 to 1919– Paris
The Makers Mark is for (Maison) CHRISTOFLE and shows two C’s separated by a honey bee, topped by 3 stars.

Dating the creation of the Christofle dynasty is rather hard. Some say 1793, others 1830 or 1842.The first traceable Mark was that of Charles Christofle registered in 1832 on august 1st. It was followed by 2 other Marks registered as Maison Christofle.
The genius of the House of Christopfle was in securing the rights to the ‘Galvanoplastie’ or Electroplating when it was invented in 1837 by Boris Jacobi in St Petersburg in Russia.
Christofle knew by then that numerous households longed for lovely looking silverware, yet could not afford the price. By selling plated silverware he secured a market that no one had really studied, striking gold!!
Yet he also managed to retain a high clientele by offering some of his most beautiful pieces in Pure Silver. This was possible up to 1917. The influence Christofle had on the industry in the later 1800s was quite simply huge!

JayT, thank you very much for the effort you take with clear text and explanation.
I appreciate this greatly

For now, I do not do anything about this research anymore, only if I have something important to add.

With kind regards
Dendriet

Return to “French Silver”