Re: c. 1720 silver-mounted teacup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Agman

Post by Agman »

I need fresh eyes on the hallmarks of this new purchase: a rare Chinese porcelain teacup and saucer with French silver mount, c. 1700-1730. It's in the style known as Regence (not to be confused with English Regency) and the face masks on the pierced strapwork supports are an especially interesting feature. Cups like this were known as "trembleuses," and date to a time when ceramics from the Far East were treated as precious curios. The marks are tiny and worn, but I'm trying to decipher them. The larger one is the maker's mark (fleur-de-lis and pellets over AD?) and the smaller one should be a discharge ("decharge") mark. Probably Paris and definitely in the 1700-1730 range, most likely 1710s-20s. Any suggestions?

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

If you look at the above pic, and then look at the pic above that one, in that square-shaped hallmark, do you think that is the "town mark" for "Saint Esprit and Bagnols" which would be a standing bird with its head down? You might have more luck with a magnifying glass or a loupe, does that hallmark look like the town mark for Saint Esprit and Bagnols?

I could be wrong, it might not be the bird with head down hallmark for Saint Esprit and Bagnols, but if you think it is possible to identify the town mark, that might bring you closer to the information you seek :::

Return to “French Silver”