Who is the maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kirils
contributor

Who is the maker?

Post by Kirils »

Hello, I have this beautiful silver set, but I cannot identify the maker. Sorry for bad quality photos of the mark, it is impossible to make it better. I have never seen such a small mark. From what I see on it the first letter is L for sure. In the middle, I can see some sort of animal. From one side it looks like a rat/mouse from another it looks like soma sort of bird. The symbol at the bottom I cannot identify. Maybe someone is familiar with this mark and can help me identify this maker. Thank you in advance.

Kirils
contributor

Re: Who is the maker?

Post by Kirils »

This is just to compare the size of "Minerva" and a maker mark

JayT
contributor

Re: Who is the maker?

Post by JayT »

Your pierced and engraved 4-piece hors d’oeuvre service was made after 1838 in Paris of 800 standard silver. The handles appear to be mother-of-pearl. The set is presented in a fitted box, retailed by F. Laurent, a jeweller in Bourges.
As to the maker, you don’t make this easy. By convention, the maker’s mark has 2 initials and a symbol. In looking at V. II of Arminjon, there are over 1,000 makers beginning with L. Therefore it would be important to have a second initial to identify the maker, or a very clear symbol.
Sorry I can’t tell you more, as this mark is unfamiliar to me. Perhaps another member could help.

Return to “French Silver”