Please help identify silversmith on French silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cgonzalez100

Please help identify silversmith on French silver

Post by cgonzalez100 »

I would really appreciate help in gathering more information about the approximate age and the silversmith of this tea strainer. I do have a bit of a lead, I am told the silversmith mark is for Henri Jacob in Lyon, France. Initials HJ with a ladder. However, I am not 100% certain on that information and I do not know when this silversmith was active or at what location.

Zilver2
contributor

Re: Please help identify silversmith on French silver

Post by Zilver2 »

Hi,
Mark of Henri Jacob, silversmith, chaser,manufacturer of ecclesiastical items and jeweller
6 rue Jean-Carriès, Lyon
after 1939, 18 montée du Gourguillon, Lyon
Symbol : a ladder (une échelle)
Mark entered 9 November 1931 and again 14 March 1951
(ref. Poinçons des fabricants d'ouvrages d'or et d'argent - Lyon 1798-1940 by Maryannick Chalabi and Marie-Reine Jazé-Charvolin
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Near the end of this thread link, Jay T. explains the Minerva (right facing, octagonal reserve, numeral 1) for standard of .950 used before 1973 [which gives your "not later than" date] : http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... nts#p93150
cgonzalez100

Post by cgonzalez100 »

Zilver2 and Traintime, thank you so much for taking the time to help me with these hallmarks. I am glad to know the time frame this object was made and to know more about this silversmith. It is a pretty little piece.

Return to “French Silver”