1935 Art Deco Chalice and Paten, w/ gold, enamel diamonds

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fripou

1935 Art Deco Chalice and Paten, w/ gold, enamel diamonds

Post by fripou »

Hello,

Last time I was in Caen, in Normandy, I found a chalice and paten in their oak box.
I bought it with the original drawings made by the priest himself and all the letters exchanged between him and the silversmith, Robert Commin.

It was a gift from his family and friends, made for the Ordination of Gaston Hamel, in the Séez Cathedral, which took place on June 15, 1935.

Robert Commin's letterhead says 'ciseleur - sculpteur' : chiseller - sculptor ; he was in Malakoff, just outside Paris.

The Chalice has a fantastic Art Deco design, with hexagonal foot and stem ; hammered Thorn Crown around the bowl and chiselled rays around the enamel cross on gold, set with a diamond.
The knop has 6 enamel panels (made by the silversmith himself) representing Jesus, the Virgin Mary and various other religious figures ; there is an enamel cross on the foot, made on gold, and set with a diamond ; there are 2 gold bands, above and under the knop.
The interior is gilded (almost all is lost from frequent use and polishing).

The Paten is sleek, with a welded heavy cross, with a diamond and rays in the centre.
It is gilded, but faded.

The 2 diamonds are about 0.8-1 carat

It is 800g and was sold for a price of 2500 francs ; this is about 1900€, or US$2150

It is a magnificent example of religious silver !

If you would like more detail about the conception and all that was involved, I have transcribed the letters (in French) on my computer and can share them.

I think it is a magnificent piece and would love your comments about this unique Chalice.
Thank you all

François

Return to “French Silver”