French silver MARKERS MARKS and Date

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tjc-77

French silver MARKERS MARKS and Date

Post by Tjc-77 »

Hi all

Can you advise on the attached French silver MARKERS MARKS ?

Thanks

https://postimg.cc/7JY088nS

https://postimg.cc/nj1BPcBH
dognose
Site Admin

Re: French silver MARKERS MARKS and Date

Post by dognose »

As previously requested, please embed your images.

Trev.
Tjc-77

Post by Tjc-77 »

Tjc-77 wrote:Hi all

Can you advise on the attached French silver MARKERS MARKS ?

Thanks

https://postimg.cc/7JY088nS

https://postimg.cc/nj1BPcBH
Tjc-77

Post by Tjc-77 »

Tjc-77

Post by Tjc-77 »

Hi All

Can you please help with the below French silver MARKERS MARKS and Dates

Set of 9 French silver spoons

See photos added

Thanks and Regards Terry
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Your spoons were made in Paris 1809-19, of 950 standard silver, as shown by the silver standard mark of a cock facing right in an octagonal reserve with a border, and a guarantee mark of a Minerva head facing right in a circular reserve.
The maker was Pierre-Joseph Dehanne, flatware maker, working at 28 rue des Marmousets. Dehanne registered this mark in 1798-99, but he also had been a maker in pre-Revolutionary times. No end date of his activity is given, but he appeared in the Almanach Azur until 1822.

See Arminjon, v. I, no. 00871, p. 118.

During the ancien régime, Dehanne registered his mark on 21 December 1785 at the age of 34: initials PJD under a crowned fleur de lys, two grains and a cock as symbol.

See Nocq, v. II, p. 26.

The pattern is called Filet or Thread. You have a personalization of initials under the coronet of a marquis.

Going forward, if I take the trouble to research your items free of charge, kindly have the courtesy not to post thumbnail photos that redirect the viewer to a platform full of offensive advertisements.
Tjc-77

Post by Tjc-77 »

[quote="JayT"]Your spoons were made in Paris 1809-19, of 950 standard silver, as shown by the silver standard mark of a cock facing right in an octagonal reserve with a border, and a guarantee mark of a Minerva head facing right in a circular reserve.
The maker was Pierre-Joseph Dehanne, flatware maker, working at 28 rue des Marmousets. Dehanne registered this mark in 1798-99, but he also had been a maker in pre-Revolutionary times. No end date of his activity is given, but he appeared in the Almanach Azur until 1822.

During the ancien régime, Dehanne registered his mark on 21 December 1785 at the age of 34: initials PJD under a crowned fleur de lys, two grains and a cock as symbol.

See Nocq, v. II, p. 26.

The pattern is called Filet or Thread. You have a personalization of initials under the coronet of a marquis.

Going forward, if I take the trouble to research your items free of charge, kindly have the courtesy not to post thumbnail photos that redirect the viewer to a platform full of offensive advertisements.

[quote="JayT"]Your spoons were made in Paris 1809-19, of 950 standard silver, as shown by the silver standard mark of a cock facing right in an octagonal reserve with a border, and a guarantee mark of a Minerva head facing right in a circular reserve.

See Nocq, v. II, p. 26.

Many thanks for your detailed and informative research and please accept my apologies for the photo redirects , im new to this platform and learming the procedure going forward i ensure a better quality process.

Regards Terry
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome Terry.

Return to “French Silver”