ROLLOS, Philip I (Grimwade p.645-6)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

ROLLOS, Philip I (Grimwade p.645-6)

Post by MCB »

Last mentioned by Grimwade with regard to firedogs of his manufacture in 1704 which were on display at Welbeck Abbey, the Victoria and Albert Museum website shows The Bingley Cups of around 1714 manufacture are also now attributed to him.
buckler

Re: ROLLOS, Philip I (Grimwade p.645-6)

Post by buckler »

It is possible that the Will of Philip Rollos, Gentleman of Wandsworth, Surrey, proved at PCC on 03 May 1711 (TNA / PROB 11/521/23) was his, made after retirement .
silverly

Post by silverly »

In case it hasn't already been brought to light elsewhere, Phillip Rollos silversmith age twenty-five and Dorothy widow age thirty-five both of the Parish of St Martin's In The Field, Middlesex were bound in marriage on 30 July 1703.

I see her last name interpreted as Hide and Pride, but neither were convincing enough for me. Maybe somebody familiar enough with what looks like a transitionial secretary hand to me will have a better idea about what it actually is.
buckler

Post by buckler »

I wonder if the name is HIDE (modern Hyde)
I usually find if a capital is totally unintelligable, odds on it's an "H" !
Sounds a daft notion, but often works
Clive
silverly

Post by silverly »

I'll go along with an "H." It's much closer than "Pr."
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote:In case it hasn't already been brought to light elsewhere, Phillip Rollos silversmith age twenty-five and Dorothy widow age thirty-five both of the Parish of St Martin's In The Field, Middlesex were bound in marriage on 30 July 1703.

I see her last name interpreted as Hide and Pride, but neither were convincing enough for me. Maybe somebody familiar enough with what looks like a transitionial secretary hand to me will have a better idea about what it actually is.
July 1703 Phillip Rollos Batchelor marriage by "ye Bishop London License" to Dorothy Hide Widow recorded at Saint Bride's Fleet Street.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”