AYRES, Thomas (Grimwade p.401)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

AYRES, Thomas (Grimwade p.401)

Post by buckler »

Leslie Southwick "London Silver Hilted Swords" gives the following information

Thomas Ayres "Apprentice to John ALDERHEAD, Livery 1791, Prime Warden 1815, Ayres and Bennet c1812 -1829, died 1831. Sword Hilts and Freedom Boxes".
MCB

Re: AYRES, Thomas (Grimwade p.401)

Post by MCB »

His burial record indicates he was born around 1752.
His indentures signed in 1766 show he was the son of John Ayres, a gardener from East Sheen, Surrey. He was free in 1773.
First assessed to Land Tax on the property in Fenchurch Street in 1785 from where he entered his only mark at Goldsmiths’ Hall as a buckle maker in 1786 he remained at the same address until his death in 1831.
Trade directory entries from 1785-91 showed him as a goldsmith and jeweller.
Edward Anthony of Newington in 1787, John T Bennett in 1797 and James Crouch of Isle of Wight in 1814 all signed indentures to be his apprentices.
His burial in 1831 aged 79, late of Fenchurch Street, was registered at St Dionis Backchurch.
His Will was proved for probate on 10th May 1831. A copy is held in the National Archives within the Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers. The reference is PROB/11/1785/20 should a copy be required.
buckler

Post by buckler »

I suspect he was only a retailer. A prominent man, his mark as a buckle maker is conspicuous by its absence from surviving buckles.
Certainly I have never seen one.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Perhaps he diversified from buckle making soon after registering at Goldsmiths' Hall as he saw the fashion for silver buckles fall away and his mark was then found, as it presumably was, on freedom boxes and sword hilts?
As a time served goldsmith, although technically able to produce work, he may have relied on wares made by others for retail but apparently chose to apply his own registered mark at least to some items.
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An image of Thomas Ayres's premises located at 160, Fenchurch Street can be found at:

Views of Silversmiths' Premises

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

2 November 1785 John son of James Schooling of Bishopgate Street London seale maker apprenticed to Thomas Ayres of Frenchurch Street London goldsmith.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Recorded as AYRES & BENNETT, Goldsmiths and Jewellers of 160, Fenchurch Street.

Source: Johnstone's London Commercial Guide - Corrected to 31st August 1817 - Andrew Johnstone - 1818

BENNETT may be Thomas Ayres's former apprentice, John T. Bennett.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS AYRES, of Fenchurch-street, London, Silversmith, deposes as follows:—I was in doors while the troops were passing. There was a cry of “ Halt”; one of the officers rode back: I then heard a firing: he came back again, and cried, “March”: that was the 15th Light Dragoons. I still heard firing at a distance: then came up the Life Guards, and there were some of them charged their pistols. One of the soldiers I kept my eye upon: I saw a stone, or (rather from the appearance) a brick, hit his horse : he looked round, and immediately held his pistol out and fired in the direction from whence the stone came, but over the heads of the populace. That ball struck over the door of Mrs. Chandler in Lime-street. The soldier did not level his pistol as if to fire at any person, but rather elevated it when he fired : then they marched on; I was then standing at my door. After they were gone, a man came out of Lime-street; he had two pieces of brick in his hand: I said to him, “I suppose you are the man the soldier fired at;” and told him he had better drop the bricks, and go away about his business. He made no reply, nor dropped the bricks but went away after the soldiers. The men who were loading were in the rear; they loaded as they went on ; there were only about six of them which composed the Rear-guard. There was considerable distance between the main body and the Rearguard. I should not know the soldier again who fired.

Source: Report of the Committee appointed by the Court of Lord Mayor and Aldermen to investigate by what causes and under what circumstances some persons were killed or wounded by the Military, on Monday the 9th of April, 1810

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”