LYCETT, Edward (Grimwade 389, 403)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

LYCETT, Edward (Grimwade 389, 403)

Post by buckler »

Originally junior partner to Thomas Lowndes see http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 74&t=23448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from 1783

25 February 1784 - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t17840225-62
...was indicted for feloniously stealing three silver bridges the property of Thomas Lowndes and Edward Lycett.
EDWARD LYCETT sworn.
On the 24th of January, me and my partner counted over our stock, and we
found a considerable deficiency in our silver stock; I believe it was to
the amount of forty or fifty pounds, it was in silver filing and bridges,
it was unwrought silver, and I knew it was impossible to swear to it,
unless it was marked; I asked the caster if he could make an incision in
the sand, so that the bridges should come out with a particular mark

From the above they were working silver bucklemakers and had staff .
The detail does not mention address but Old Bailey Sessions: Sessions Papers - Justices' Working Documents of 29 January 1784 includes " the Information of Edward Lycett of No 9 Round Court Saint Martin le Grand Working Silversmith" in connection with the case.

The partnership moved to 25, Noble Street (recorded by Goldsmiths Hall on 20th October 1788)

14 July 1789 - London Gazette 13114 announced the partnership was dissolved.
Edward Lycett to pay all debts at 25, Noble Street, where he entered a sole bucklemaker mark on 20th July 1789 .

Edward Lycett was a signatory to London Bucklemakers Petition to the Prince of Wales in January 1792
buckler

Re: LYCETT, Edward (Grimwade 389, 403

Post by buckler »

Grimwade page 402 gives, unillustrated, the only mark of Thomas Lownes & Edward Lycett, entered as bucklemakers at 2, St Anne's Lane on 1 October 1783.
This is an example, seen on a buckle

dognose
Site Admin

Re: LYCETT, Edward (Grimwade 389, 403

Post by dognose »

I'm including the below statement as the name 'Lycett' and the address of Noble Street likely means a family connection:

THOMAS LYCETT, of No. 17, Noble-street, Foster-lane, Engraver, deposes as follows:—I was at Mr. Gretton's, No. 40, Fenchurch-street. I heard a noise of firing, and looked out at window, and saw the military pass: at the rear there was a party of Life Guards: the Rear was firing at the people at a distance: they threw stones: one threw a piece of earthen ware, but they were fifty or sixty yards distant from the soldiers. The soldiers rode after them repeatedly; but I did not see any one fall, or any one wounded. I saw one of the Life Guards, particularly, point a pistol a pistol at a man who was passing singly against Mr. Phillips' window, the upholsterer: the pistol did not go off: he shut the pan, and fired again at the man, but missed him, and the shot went in at the window. I should not know the soldier again, or the man that was fired at. I saw the soldier point at him, which took my notice particularly. I certainly saw the mob throw stones and mud : there were about eighteen or twenty of them, and them lads or boys of eighteen or twenty years of age. I saw a stone fall near Mr. Phillips' house, the Upholsterer's.

Source: Report of the Committee appointed by the Court of Lord Mayor and Aldermen to investigate by what causes and under what circumstances some persons were killed or wounded by the Military, on Monday the 9th of April, 1810

Trev.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”