REED, John (Grimwade p.398)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

REED, John (Grimwade p.398)

Post by buckler »

1786 SUN 1 339 17\9\79 ML Policy Number 520016
Insured John Reed Silver Bucklemaker, 3 Dolphin Court , Holborn. - Insured Value £400

Wakefields Merchant and Tradesmans General Directory of London, Westminster, Borough of Southwark and Twenty Two Mile Circular from St Pauls , 1794 gives REED , John , Silver Buckle Maker still at 3, Dolphin Court , Holborn

Interesting to see him still classed as a Silver Buckle Maker.
Dolphin Court appears to be more Ludgate Hill or Fleet Street rather than Holborn.
buckler

Re: REED, John (Grimwade p.398)

Post by buckler »

In nearly 20 years of collecting Georgian silver buckles I had never seen a buckle by this maker. I bought one pair in June this year, and another in July ! Both the same design but of different sizes, both with the Incuse duty mark.

Mark is

Note that Grimwade states the punch is a type1 (pure rectangle) but this has slightly cut corners.
However I am 95% confident that this is John Reed's 5th January 1784 mark as bucklemaker
buckler

Re: REED, John (Grimwade p.398)

Post by buckler »

28 October 1789
The Times reports a case brought by Goldsmiths Hall against "Mr Reid, a bucklemaker " for forging the Lion Passant on buckles sold to another goldsmith, Mr Garret , at St Johns , Wapping .
The case , "KING against REID " was held at the Sessions House in Clerkenwell, which is outside the City, and John Reed was in the City . However Garret's premises were at Wappimg which is where the buckles were seized by Mr Rutherford , an officer of the Goldsmiths' Company.

Garret stated that Mr Reid had been his bucklemaker for 7 years.

The verdict was "Not Guilty ", the Court deciding that the entire matter had been concocted by two apprentices (William Marshall and his brother ) of Mr Reid to get their master transported !

Whether this Mr Reid is our John REED is not sure but certainly possible. As it was Reid being prosecuted, Reid must have had a registered mark to obtain assay
I can find no record of any Marshalls being apprenticed to any Reids or Reeds for the relevant period in Inland Revenue Stamp duty lists. Although as both apprentices were presumably discharged before the duty was payable , I doubt it was ever paid !

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”