STAMP, James (Grimwade p.669)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

STAMP, James (Grimwade p.669)

Post by buckler »

11th April 1780.- St James Chronicle reports under Deaths "Tuesday [11th April 1780 -same day as publication] at Bath, Mr James Stamp silversmith in Cheapside and a Common Councilman of Cheap Ward" [he had been a councilman since 1776]
I suspect that the actual date of death may be a week earlier.

29th April 1780- Will of James Stamp, Goldsmith of Cheapside , City of London proved at PCC (PROB11/1064)

12th May 1780 -His widow, Frances Stamp, registered a mark as plateworker at 86, Cheapside

At this stage Frances the widow appears to have died or be dying and the premises at 86, Cheapside were quickly taken over by James Sutton who registered a mark as plateworker there on 7th July 1780

17th August 1780- General Evening Post requests " any Claim or demand on the late James and Frances Stamp of Cheapside, Goldsmiths "

2th September 1780- London Gazette Issue 12115 also advertises for creditors amd debtors .
"All claims etc on the late James and Frances Stamp of Cheapside London are desired to send in their accounts , and all persons indebted to the said James and Frances Stamp, deceased are desired to pay the same to their successor James Sutton No 6, in Cheapside London, Goldsmith whom we have empowered to receive the same
Jos. Walton
Rich Smith
Trustees of the Estate of James and Frances Stamp Deceased."
buckler

Re: STAMP, James (Grimwade p.669)

Post by buckler »

Will of James Stamp, Goldsmith of Cheapside, London. (PROB11/1064) Proved at PCC 29 April 1780

Will copy kindly provided by member bstaunto
Thanks Ben. Errors all mine, not Ben's !

The Will is rather rambling and the PCC register copy not easy to read. I have almost certainly made some transcription errors, especially of names.

The preamble is unusual in form and may indicate he was a non-conformist.

Family
Wife named as Frances but no mention of any children. Although very well provided for she is nowhere given as “my dear wife “ or the usual such phrases
Stamp actually died in Bath where the will indicates he had at least one friend — he may have gone there as an invalid , leaving his wife to run the London establishment Parts of the will tend to indicate she was active in the business.

He gives as his Nephews George Stamp Baker and James Stamp, and indicates that they were both minors in 1780. Hence his former partner John Baker was probably a cousin. [ IGI records the marriage of John Baker and Ann Stamp 14 Jul 1765 at Saint Botolph Without Aldersgate and the christening 3 March 1766 of George Stamp Baker , son of John and Ann at St Martin Ludgate . George was born 4 February 1766, so somewhat early in the marriage !]

He wished to be buried at Walthamstow, perhaps indicating his family origins

His executors were to be his friends
Mr John Cripps, Jeweller , Friday Street, London
and
Mr Benjaman Stevenson, Goldsmith, late of Ludgate Hill, London, [Grimwade p.607, 768]
After his death they both declined executorship and supported the appointment of his Widow, Frances Stamp

Beneficiaries
Frances Stamp, his Widow
“James Sutton, my now Clerk” [Grimwade p.674]. He acted as his Bookkeeper
“James Bult [Grimwade p. 453] my now Apprentice”
“My now Shopman Arthur Humphries “[ Grimwade p.553 — and ex apprentice of Stamp]
“James Parker [if he ] does assist my Executors , Bookkeeper, James Bult etc in giving them a just account of all his Silver Stock he has now working on or has then so that everything is just and fair and if he is not indebted to me in Monies or Silver on balance then in such case when all his accounts adjusted and paid to my Executors etc etc . … I leave and bequeath all the working tools, anvils etc wherein he now works known by the Name of the Lower Shop together with the Xxxxxx (Iron) in the Upper Shop for his own use” It would seem from the will that James Parker may well have acted as his workshop manager or as a subcontracter
“David Webster Ten Guineas”
“John Whitfield [ an ex apprentice of Stamp] Twenty Guineas and all my Working Buckle [?] Tools, Benches, polishing Wheel (viz) Iron Moulds ,Sand etc .But not the Windhole [?] Bellows nor any thing belonging to XXXX.”
“Mr Carter my Button Maker I give all the Working Tools being and belonging unto his working Benches in the said Shop which he now works provided that he pays the Estate what he now owes me and delivers my said Executors a true and just account of all Silverwork he might have under his care”
“William Smith, [William Edward Smith ] Apprentice Ten Pounds”
“William Reed now with me Two Hundred Pounds to be laid out in the Funds, the interest to find him in clothing etc. And at the age of twenty three he shall have full liberty to sell or take the said two hundred pounds to himself for his own use But if he should depart this life before he should come to the said age of 23 then in that case it shall become the sole property to the Eldest of my Nephews Stamp or Baker
[ Stamp seems rather uncertain as to their respective ages — probably the parents of George Stamp Baker was reticent about his birth date ! ]

“My will is further that my Executors shall lay out in the Funds within twelve months after my decease One Thousand Pounds in Trust in the name of my two Nephews Viz George Stamp Baker and James Stamp the interest of which to find them in clothing until they attain unto the age of twenty three “

“Five hundred pounds in Funds as above in Trust in the Name of Elizabeth Watson , daughter of XXXX and Elizabeth Watson of Bedlington, Northumberland …. Until she shall arrive to the age of twenty one years” .

“my Friend Thomas Wigan Senior of Bristol [ Grimwade p 719] Five Guineas and a Ring for and in Remembrance of an Old Friend “

“….my Sisters…
“Sarah Cook, wife of John Cook” [The name Cooke is spelt with and without a “e” in various parts of the register entry.]
“Mary Stamp ( I believe )” [ it appears he did not know if she had married or not - another indication perhaps of absence from London for some time ]
“Lucy Provins Wife of H .Provins Little Britain “

“Unto my different Friends”
Robert A Cox Esq [ probably Grimwade p.476 —although the use of Esq normally indicates a lawyer]
Mr William Cox [ perhaps Grimwade 476]
Mr Megginson
Mr Robert Fisher , Attorney
Mr Wigan above mentioned
Mr N Mullins
Mr B Harvey [ a Bennet Harvey was an apprentice to Stamp from 1777]
Mr & Mrs Mead [? ]
Mrs Sutton
Mr P Cowdron
Mr Sparrow Clergyman Walthamstow
Mr T Daniel
Mr Smith Hanwell

Property
The Will mentions several annuities which he presumably owns including one on the lives of the Honourable N Couzen , E Winnington Esq and on [forename left blank] Baker Esquire
Freehold in Huntingdonshire bought from Mr William Woodnock ? “which cost me thousand one hundred pounds besides law suit” .
House at Walthamstow
Also Effects which will be coming from Northumberland in which Mr T Meggenson is mentioned .

From the above details and the number of large sums apportioned in the will he was a very wealthy man

Signed “ four sheets of my own writing “ 20 January 1780 by James Stamp but not witnessed .

29 April 1780
The handwriting and signature to the will were attested to by Nathaniel Jones of the City of Bath, Silversmith and Joseph Thorneicraft [ Thorneycroft ?] of the Parish of St Mary, Colechurch, London , Goldsmith.
They confirmed that they were well acquainted with " James Stamp late of the Parish of St Mary Cole Church deceased for several years before and to the time of his death which happened on the fourth day of April instant " and of his writing and signature.

Administration (with Will attached) granted to Frances Stamp Widow of the deceased, John Cripps, and Benjamin Stevenson having renounced their Executorships ,

21 June 1780
Frances Stamp is noted by PCC as "since also deceased " and administration of the Will "granted to Sarah Cooke (wife of John Cooke ) and Mary Stamp Spinster the natural and lawful Sisters and two of the Residuary Legatees" [ as Sarah was present at the time , this is likely to be the correct spelling of Cooke]
silverly

Re: STAMP, James (Grimwade p.669)

Post by silverly »

2 May 1764 James Stamp's Freedom by Redemption paper notes that he was the son of Adam Stamp London Cordweynor.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”