GLIDDON, James John (Grimwade p.340)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

GLIDDON, James John (Grimwade p.340)

Post by MCB »

He was christened in 1780 at St Andrew, Holborn, the son of James and Mary of Plow (sic) Court, Fetter Lane.
He was assessed to Land Tax on property in Red Lion Passage in 1799.
He married Esther Knocker at St Andrew’s in 1802.
The christening records in 1819 at St Andrew, Holborn of seven children of James John and Esther born 1809-13 show their father as a watch case maker of Red Lion Passage.
Another daughter Francis was christened there in 1823 and her burial aged 6 years in 1829 is recorded there. Her address was also Red Lion Passage.
He entered a maker’s mark in 1826 as a watch case maker at that address.
Banns were read in 1827 at St George the Martyr, Queen Square for him as a widower to marry the widow Elizabeth Nevell. Neither the record of this marriage nor a record of his wife Esther’s death have been found.
Again recorded as a widower he married spinster Ann Hooley at St Pancras Old Church in 1833.
The 1841 UK Census recorded him continuing at the previous address as a goldsmith living with wife Ann. She died at this address in 1844 aged 52 years.
He was recorded as a dentist at the same address in 1851.
His death was recorded in the Holborn register in 1862.
Listed as a gentleman, late of the previous address, his Will was proved at the Principal Registry in 1862. The value of his estate was under £20.
gby110

Re: GLIDDON, James John (Grimwade p.340)

Post by gby110 »

MCB wrote:...He married Esther Knocker at St Andrew’s in 1802.
The christening records in 1819 at St Andrew, Holborn of seven children of James John and Esther born 1809-13 show their father as a watch case maker of Red Lion Passage....
Neither the record of this marriage nor a record of his wife Esther’s death have been found.
I think I am a descendant of James John Gliddon and Esther Knocker and came across your site while searching for more information on the pair.

I noticed in the above quote that you lacked any information of Esther's death. I have come across some information on her death on Ancestry where they have provided this information in an Ancestry Hint:
England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970 Death:
Name Ester Gliddon;
Death 29 Aug 1826 - Fetter Lane, London, England -

I can't provide any more information than that at this time.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi gby110,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for taking the time to update the topic, it is appreciated.

Please keep us in mind if any other details should come to light.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

15 January 1795 Richard Grove Saint James Clerkenwell Watch Case Maker paid apprentice indenture duty for James John Gliddon.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”