ARDESOIF, Stephen (Grimwade p.425)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

ARDESOIF, Stephen (Grimwade p.425)

Post by MCB »

Grimwade records him last in 1773 at Fountain Court, Strand.
There are Land Tax records in the name of Stephen Ardesoif until 1814 in respect of property in Upper Litchfield Street.
silverly

Re: ARDESOIF, Stephen (Grimwade p.425)

Post by silverly »

1787 Stephen Demar (Des Mare?) Ardesoif a land based Master Gunner at the Upnor Castle near Chatham will proved at London. The will states that Stephen Demar Ardesoif was married to Susannah Bateman Ardesoif, but they had parted by mutual consent. She was left one shilling. Abraham Ardesoif Silversmith of Kensington in the County of Middlesex made an oath that he knew Stephen Ardesoif and recognized his handwriting. Reference: TNA PROB 11/1156/281 (I do not know how this gentleman connects to the Stephen Ardesoif in Grimwade, but figure just by the surname he might in some way.)
silverly

Post by silverly »

6 July 1763 From the proceedings of the Old Bailey Reference Number t17630706-3:

James Anderson was indicted for stealing one pair of silver shoe-buckles, val. 10 s. the property of Stephen Ardesoif , June 13 . ||

Christian Ardesoif . My husband's name is Stephen; we keep a toy-shop at Charing-cross . The prisoner came and asked to see a pair of silver buckles, about three weeks ago; he fixed upon a pair and asked the price, I went to weigh them; he then took up another pair and went out, I followed him out and called to have him stopped, he was soon brought back with the buckles.

Mr. Beaver. On the 13th of June I was going by this shop, I heard her call, stop thief; I pursued the prisoner, who ran up a court where was no thoroughfare; he had something in his hand, I asked him, what he was going to do with that in his hand, not knowing but he had got a pistol; he said, he was going to throw the buckles into a hole. I took them from him, and brought him and them back. (Produced in court, and deposed to by prosecutrix.)

Prisoner's Defence.

I went out of the shop to shew the buckles to a person that was in the street.

Guilty . Sentence transportation.
buckler

Post by buckler »

As Abraham Ardesoif was described as a Silversmith when appearing at the PCC to validate the obviously unwitnessed Will of of Master Gunner Stephen Demar Ardesoif a connection is extremely likely with our Stephen Ardesoif (Grimwade p.425 ).

My speculation is that Susannah Bateman Ardesoif, the widow of said Stephen Demar Ardesoif was perhaps the daughter of the silversmith, Stephen Ardesoif who had married one of the Bateman family of silversmiths.

Does anyone know of such a marriage ?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Yes!

Marriages

14th November 1776

Capt. Ardesoif of Upnor-Castle to Mrs. Bateman of Hampstead.

Source: The Gentleman's Magazine - 1776
buckler

Post by buckler »

Great !
Now we need to know whose widow she was, and hope he was one of the silver-smithing Bateman family !
silverly

Post by silverly »

22 December 1775 John Bateman of Hampstead, Middlesex Gentleman will proved at London. No indication of a connection to a trade of any kind. A very simple will. Everything was left to his wife Susannah, and she was the Executrix.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”