MORLAND, George (Grimwade p.600)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

dognose
Site Admin

MORLAND, George (Grimwade p.600)

Post by dognose »

James Chassey, an occasional journeyman to Mr. Moreland (sic), a silversmith, for stealing several ounces of silver, his property, and in his absence melting them in his house into an ingot, the better to dispose thereof in the trade. He was also indicted for stealing several ounces of silver, the property of Mr. Corry, a silversmith, whom he also worked for, but was not tried thereon. It appeared he had sold within a small space of time a great number of ingots, some weighing not less that 20 or 30 ounces.

Source: The London Chronicle for 1762 - Jan. 16-19

Old Bailey trial refers: t17620114-29
MCB

Re: MORLAND, George (Grimwade p.600)

Post by MCB »

In view of the apprenticeship with William Fish the marriage of George Morland to Mary Fish at St Leonard, Shoreditch in 1728 appears relevant.
The reference to his being at James Stone’s house in Maiden’s Lane when registering his mark in 1731 suggests he was lodging with or working with James Stone the goldsmith (Grimwade p.671).
A daughter of George and Mary was christened at St Mary Staining in 1731 and two of their children at St Botolph, Aldersgate in 1734 and 1739 all without recorded detail of their address.
In 1736 Charles, the son of Edward Staples, deceased chainmaker of St Vedast, Foster Lane parish, signed indentures to be his apprentice. He also paid Duty in that year for the apprentice indentures of George the son of George Hodges of the Haberdashers Company.
In 1747 George, the son of George and Mary Morland of White Cross Alley, was christened at St Leonard, Shoreditch.
The 1750 London Poll Book listed him at Moorfields as a freeman of the Goldsmiths Company.
In 1751 William, the son of George Morland of the Goldsmiths Company, signed indentures to be the apprentice of John Hay of the Clothworkers Company. William’s brother George (see the above christening record in 1747) signed to be his apprentice in 1761.
The burial of a George Morland registered in 1763 at St Giles, Cripplegate may be relevant.
buckler

Post by buckler »

The burial at St Giles, Cripplegate in 1765 being his is borne out by the probate of the Will of George Morland, Goldsmith of Saint Giles, Cripplegate, City of London at PCC on 5 March 1763 Ref TNA/PROB 11/885/119.
buckler

Post by buckler »

Further to the first posting here is a slightly abbreviated transcript of the Old Bailey { t17620114-29 ] trial of James Chassey of of 14th January 1762.
It contains some fascinating technical details of a silversmiths craft and trade
In the trial the Proceedings of the Old Bailey gives Henry Corry as Henry Curry

James Chassey , was indicted for stealing four ounces weight of silver shilings and cuttings, value 23 s. the property of George Morland , Dec. 21 .~
George Morland . I am a gold-smith , and live in Grub-street. The last time the prisoner worked for me was on St. Thomas's day. I, being summoned to attend the wardmote, weighed my stock of silver, which was 25 ounces odd penyweights. I did not come home till eleven at night. The next morning I weighed it again, and there were four ounces deficient. What I missed was cuttings and filings of buckles. My children observed to me he had been melting, and I had given him no orders to melt. I went to the chandler's shop, and found he had had some pearl ashes, we can't melt the silver in a body without them. Then I had recourse to an assay-maker, and there I found there had been an assay made in his name. Then I went to the refiner, and found he had bought an assay of silver from the prisoner, which was 23 ounces odd penyweights, for which he received 6 l 5 s. 4 d. Then I went to Mr. Curry, where the prisoner had worked, to give him a caution that he did not serve him the same. He told me he also missed a quantity. I got a warrant, and took up the prisoner. He gave no satisfactory account before my lord mayor how he came by the silver, and he was committed. He was searched, and in every one of his pockets were the remains of filings. He hardly worked one day in six or seven, yet never wanted money.
Henry Curry . I took the prisoner up. I asked him if he had been selling silver. He denied selling that which Mr. Morland mentioned. I took him to Mr. Morland, and he gave a constable charge of him. He was searched, and his pockets turned insides out, and silver filings appeared on every one of them, both waistcoat and breeches.
Prisoner's Defence.
I had bought silver of Joseph Jones , Mary Gibson , and Thomas Robinson .
Thomas Robinson . I am an apprentice to a rope-maker, and live in Old-street. I sold the prisoner a pair of silver chapes and tongues; there was an oz. of them: he gave me five shillings for them. This is about eight weeks ago.
Mary Gibson . I keep a publick house in Long-lane. I sold him some old silver; it came to 15 or 16 s. about four or five months ago.
Joseph Jones . I am a journeyman cabinet-brass-founder, and live in Golden-lane. I sold the prisoner a pair of silver shoe-buckles, knee-buckles, stock-buckle, hat-buckle, and a pair of silver sleeve-buttons, and an odd bit or two of a serril of a came; there were between seven and eight ounces of it all. He gave me 4 s. 9 d. an ounce. The whole sum was 45 s. He weighed them at a pawnbroker's shop in Golden-lane.
He was asked divers times, if he had not made a mistake in either weight or price. He said, he had not.
Guilty .
He had another indictment against him for stealing 12 ounces of silver , the property of Henry Curry .
[Transportation.]

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”