KILLIK, Andrew (Grimwade p.570)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

KILLIK, Andrew (Grimwade p.570)

Post by MCB »

He was christened Andrew Killick at Holy Trinity, Clapham in 1723, the son of John and Jane.
He married Anne Morison at St George, Mayfair in 1748. He was from St Ann and St Agnes parish, Noble Street and she from St Giles in the Fields.
Two of their children were christened at St Ann and St Agnes in 1750 and 1752.
John Jenkins of Rotherhithe signed indentures to be his apprentice in 1753. A document signed by a new master in 1760 recorded Jenkins was turned over to him in 1755. This event may have been caused by Killick giving up trade as a goldsmith. The signature of the new master is unclear.
The burial of an Andrew Kallick recorded at St Pancras Old Church in 1757 which might be relevant.
MCB

Re: KILLIK, Andrew (Grimwade p.570)

Post by MCB »

The signature on the document of 1760 relating to the turn over of the apprentice John Jenkins has been reviewed, may read "J Priest" and relate to John Priest or Preist (Grimwade p.632).
John Joseph (born 1752), the son of Andrew Killik deceased silversmith of St Ann's parish, Aldersgate Street, signed indentures in 1767 to be the apprentice of Joseph Cooper of the Scriveners' Company.
silverly

Post by silverly »

1 October 1753 John Jenkins was adjudged by order of the Court of the Guildhall that he should be fully discharged from the remainder of his term yet to come with his master (Andrew Killick) "for that the said master hath not instructed him in his trade and that the said apprentice should be turned over to some other freeman of the said City in the same trade." The year of actual turn over to John Priest is ambiguous to me because there are contemporary annexed ammendments to the original indenture that show both 1753 and 1755. Although I don't know if it much matters, I choose to believe that the turn over occurred in 1753.

18 November 1753 Andrew Killick working silversmith of Saint Sepulchre widower married Mary Massey of Saint Giles spinster in London, England. Source: Wyatt's register of marriages "At home" which is accessible through the National Archives and online sites.
silverly

Post by silverly »

MCB wrote:The signature on the document of 1760 relating to the turn over of the apprentice John Jenkins has been reviewed, may read "J Priest" and relate to John Priest or Preist (Grimwade p.632)....
Although Priest's signature is nearly unreadable, on anther of John Jenkins indenture contract annex's this subsequent master's name, John Priest, is clearly written a couple of times.
Min

Post by Min »

Did John Priest turn over John Jenkins to another master in 1760?
silverly

Post by silverly »

Welcome to the forum. According to a testimony dated 30 June 1760 and given by John Priest, John Jenkins served his seven year apprenticeship under Andrew Killik, John Priest and no other. I hope this clears up the question.
Min

Post by Min »

Many thanks for your reply. John Priest moved to an area around the Fleet prison in 1761 and I am trying to establish if by that time his business was floundering?

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”