KANDLER, Charles and Charles Frederick (Grimwade p.567)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

KANDLER, Charles and Charles Frederick (Grimwade p.567)

Post by MCB »

Charles Kandler I
He was possibly Carl Rudolph Kaendler born in 1695 in Fischbach, Saxony son of Johann Joachim and Johanna Salome and brother of Charles Frederick Kandler.
He entered marks in partnership with James Murray in August 1727. Murray was dead by October 1727 and Kandler immediately entered other marks alone. He also used an unregistered mark of CK with a mitre above. He was active first in St Martin’s Lane, then from around 1732 until about 1735 in Jermyn Street. The last evidence of his being in the UK is thought to date 12th July.
Johann Joachim Kaendler died in Saxony in April 1736. It is conjecture that his father’s last illness was the reason for his eldest son Charles Kandler’s apparent departure.

Charles Frederick Kandler
He was possibly Carl Freidrich Kaendler born in 1712 in Fischbach, Saxony and brother of Charles Kandler I
He sometimes used the name Frederick Kandler.
He took over the business in Jermyn Street from Charles Kandler I in 1735. He entered his own marks at Goldsmiths’ Hall on 10th September 1735. Unfortunately one of them, KA with a mitre above, is a repeat of a design entered by Charles Kandler I in 1727.
Charles the son of Charles Frederick and Mary was born in 1737.
His wife Mary died in 1745.
He married Elizabeth Chamberlaine at the Bavarian Embassy chapel (presumably in London) in 1749. They had three daughters.
He changed business address in 1741 moving from the north to the south side of Jermyn Street.
A Frederick Kandler witnessed the Will of William Domville of Quenn Street, late of Jermyn Street, London in July 1759.
He died in Jermyn Street on 15th October 1778 and was buried in Isleworth with his first wife Mary.

With acknowledgements and our thanks to Peter Cameron and his article on Henry Jernegan and the Kandlers in the Autumn 1996 issue of The Silver Society Journal . A copy of the article can be viewed on his website at http://www.petercameronantiquesilver.co ... andler.pdf
dognose
Site Admin

Re: KANDLER, Charles and Charles Frederick (Grimwade p.567)

Post by dognose »

Henry Jernegan, “a Goldsmith and Jeweller in Russell-street,” made the curious silver cistern which was disposed of by Lottery about the year 1740, and of which there is a fine engraving by Vertue. The price of a ticket was either five or six shillings, and the purchaser had a silver medal into the bargain, valued about 3s. There were, I believe, 30,000 tickets, and the medal induced numerous people to buy them. The ingenious Artist was fourth son of Sir Francis Jerningham (or Jernegan, which was the original name), a family long seated at Cossey in Norfolk. He died Nov. 8, 1761; and was buried in the church-yard of St. Paul, Covent Garden, where the following lines by Mr. Aaron Hill, are inscribed on his tomb :—

All that accomplish'd body lends mankind,
From earth receiving, he to earth resign'd;
All, that e’er graced a soul, from Heaven he drew,
And took back, with him, as an Angel's due!

Source: Literary Anecdotes of the Eighteenth Century - William Bowyer - 1812

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”