LUTWYCHE, William (Grimwade p.587, 758 )

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

LUTWYCHE, William (Grimwade p.587, 758 )

Post by MCB »

As a resident of All Hallows parish, Lombard Street, he married Frances Child at St Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1768.
James Edward in 1772 and William Howard in 1774, sons of goldsmith William and his wife Frances were christened at St Dionis Backchurch .
Frances was buried in May 1782 and William in November 1782, both at St Dionis Backchurch.
The Will of William Lutwyche, goldsmith and jeweller late of St Gabriel parish, Fenchurch Street, was proved for probate on 29th January 1783 (National Archives reference PROB 11/1099/357).
buckler

Re: LUTWYCHE, William (Grimwade p.587, 758 )

Post by buckler »

Considerable new information on this gentleman indicates that perhaps Grimwades Addenda, page 758 which suggests that Mark 3908 is not
William Lutwyche and John Henry Vere , but John Vincent and Henry Lawford may be questionable .

William Lutwyche may well have been in partnership with his father in the early sixties.
This makers mark seen on both a pair of cast tongs and a stock buckle may be associated with this presumed partnership

9 April 1766
Old Bailey Trial involving the theft of a silver buckle from his shop
William Lutwyche ." My partner is John Henry Vere ; we are goldsmiths and jewellers . On Saturday the 29th of March, the prisoner was standing at our shew-glasses, about dusk: he came in, and desired me to take out a pair of silver shoe-buckles. While I was weighing them, he put a pair unperceived into his pocket. By the price he bid, I found he had no intention to buy. My partner came in, and then we missed a large pair of silver buckles, which we had weighed a little before for a customer. He ran one way, and I another: I light of the prisoner in Fenchurch-street. I took him by the collar, and said he must come back along with me. He began to struggle with me; I got assistance, and got him into my shop, and sent for a constable. Before the constable came, I desired to know what he had in his pocket: he pulled out our pair, with 2 other pairs not ours. The constable came and searched him, and found 4 silk handkerchiefs concealed in his waistcoat, all of a piece, and a pair of worsted stockings on the other side. He was taken to the Compter. I advertised the things; no body has claimed them."

10 July 1766
( in Gazetteer and Daily Advertiser of 12 July 1766 )
"Whereas the partnership between Messrs VERE and LUTWYCHE , Goldsmiths and Jewellers in Lombard Street is mutually dissolved. This is therefore to give notice to all persons that may have demands on the said copartners, that they are desired immediately to send in their accounts . Also all persons indebted to the said copartners are earnestly requested to pay their respective debts on or before Michael-mas Day next.
JOHN HENRY VERE
WILLIAM LUTWYCHE

NB Mr John Henry Vere returns his sincere thanks to his friends and acquantance [sic] for all past favours , and as he intends carrying on the business as usual, hopes for the continuance of the same, and may depend on being served on the lowest terms, and on the shortest notice, with any quantity of plate, watches, and jeweller's goods, wholesale, retale [sic] and for exportation .
By their most obedient servant to command

JOHN HENRY VERE
Goldsmith and Jeweller, at the Anchor and Crown, Lombard - Street

It would appear that after the split Vere continued alone at Lombard Street and Lutwyche moved to be at Fenchurch Street

17 February 1779
Old Bailey Trial involving the theft of a silver buckle from his shop
WILLIAM LUTWYCHE sworn.
"I keep a silver-smith's shop in Fenchurch-street . The prisoner came to my shop and asked to look at some silver buttons. I went behind the compter, the prisoner followed me. as I was going inside the compter, I looked over my shoulder and observed him take something up and put it into his pocket; upon looking about I missed this buckle; I went into a little room and desired my wife to fetch a constable; when I came out again I charged the prisoner with stealing this buckle; at last he pulled it out and said here it is; I am certain this was the buckle; it was lying upon my compter before, for it was brought back to me by my customer to mend; besides that, I had sold it to my customer originally. I am certain it is the buckle."

29 May 1783
Morning Herald and Daily Advertiser
Advertisement of the sale by Mr Chapman ,3rd and 4th June, on the premises , by order of the Executors
"All the Genuine Stock in Trade, Show-Glasses , Scales and Weights etc
Of Mr WILLIAM LUTWYCHE
Working Goldsmith and Jeweller, deceased
At his late Dwelling-house, No 149 Fenchurch Street, near Gracechurch-Street
Consisting of about 1000 ounces of Plate , in coffee - pots , tea - pots, cruet-stands, waiters, candlesticks , sauce-boats, mugs, salts , pepper - casters , cream - pails, ladles, spoons , bottle tickets etc. variety of silver shoe and knee- buckles, gold stock shirt and sleeve buttons , cornelian , chrystal and fancy rings in gold and silver , stone shoe, knee and stock buckles , ear-rings in paste and garnet, diamond and other rings , six carrats of brilliant diamonds , emeralds, topaz, amethysts ,garnets, chrystals ,cornelian and M??co stones; gold silver and other watches ; silver coat and waistcoat buttons, with a variety of other articles "

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”