OTTON, Thomas Moriah (Grimwade p.610)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

OTTON, Thomas Moriah (Grimwade p.610)

Post by MCB »

He was born in Jewin Street in 1793. He was not christened until 25th April 1814 at Christ Church, Foster Lane, the son of Thomas, a goldsmith of Jewin Street and his wife Elizabeth.
He married Maria Bickerton at St George, Bloomsbury on 17th July 1814; they were both from that parish.
They had five children christened at various churches in the Foster Lane area between 1816 and 1830.
Their address was Jewin Street in 1816-17, Kirby Street in 1822 and Clerkenwell Green in 1830. His occupation was variously recorded as goldsmith or silversmith.
He had entered his only mark at Goldsmiths’ Hall as a plate worker from Clerkenwell Green in 1823.

Extract from the report of a trial of James Hands aged 15 years at the Old Bailey on 15th April 1830 on a charge of theft of a handkerchief to the value one shilling: charged with pick-pocketing:

Thomas Moriah Otton
I lost my handkerchief at Smithfield Bars on the 15th of March; I was not aware of it till the officer told me of it- I then missed it; I had not seen the prisoner.

John Tree
I was in Smithfield on Monday morning, the 15th of March; I saw the prisoner and two other boys following this gentleman- I got as close as I could, and saw the prisoner draw the handkerchief from this gentleman’s pocket, and pass it to another boy, who got away; I took the prisoner, and got him through the crowd- I told the prosecutor of it.

Prisoner’s defence
I was going through Smithfield, and this gentleman accused me of robbing a person of his handkerchief; I knew nothing of it.

Verdict
Guilty.

Punishment
Transportation for 14 years.

Thomas Moriah Otton’s burial aged 38 years, late of St John’s Square, was registered at St James, Clerkenwell in 1832.
buckler

Re: OTTON, Thomas Moriah (Grimwade p.610)

Post by buckler »

His wife Maria was the daughter of Thomas Worsley BICKERTON, to whom Otton had been apprenticed in 1808 , and was thus the grandaughter of Benjamin BICKERTON.
See http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 74&t=23129

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”