SLEAP, John (Grimwade p.398)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

silverly

SLEAP, John (Grimwade p.398)

Post by silverly »

6 January 1836 John Sleap of Upper Ashby Street Goswell Street Road working silversmith will proved at London.
buckler

Re: SLEAP, John (Grimwade p.398)

Post by buckler »

1 April 1772
John Sleap , Son of Thamas Sleaop of Whittleborough in the parish of Watford, County of Hereford Yeoman, was apprenticed to Thomas Eveans [Evans] of Wood Street , London, Bucklemaker to learn the art of Bucklemaking
(Goldsmiths Apprentice Book 8, page 217)

10 April 1790
Joint Bucklemakers mark of James EATON & John SLEAP at 3, Salisbury Court, Fleet Street
19 July 1793
Sole buckle maker mark of James EATON registered at 2, Salisbury Court , Fleet Street

Whether Sleap remained at 3, Salisbury Court is unknown
buckler

Post by buckler »

However a recently acquired shoe buckle with "u" date letter for 1795/96 and the JE / JS mark gives a problem to the theory that the partnership was dissolved around 1793. Either James had a separate mark for an additional solely operated business at 2, Salisbury Court , with the older partnership with Sleap still operating at No 3, or James was still using old punches after Sleap's departure.
buckler

Post by buckler »

6 January 1836
John Sleap of Upper Ashby Street, Goswell Street Road Working Silversmith's will proved at London.(TNA/ PROB/ 1856/ 491)

Upper Ashby Street, Goswell Street is in the Clerkenwell area, some distance North from from his last known address at Salisbury Court which is in the City, near to the River Thames. It was however a know area for immigrants and non-conformists, incuding silversmiths. Why Goswell Street Road is given is unknown.
Will gives no indication that he was retired and the presumption must be that he was still working as a silversmith, although no mark is recorded for him at Goldsmiths' Hall. Well, not one found by me anyhow .

His effects include a share of a trust of Leasehold premises in Falconbridge Court , in the parish of St Ann, in Soho, bequeathed to him by his late father, Thomas Sleap .
His widow Eleanor with their son John Gifford Sleath were named as executors to whom probate was granted.
Two daughters are named in the will , Elizabeth Sleap and Ann Matilda, named as the wife of George Clark .

The will was signed 4 April 1833 and witnessed by H. Hindmarsh Sol Crescent, Jewin Street Cripplegate and Frederick Hindmarsh his Clerk . I suspect that Sol (which is an insert on the will) may be short for Solicitor, as Crescent is so titled on its own in Jewin Street in Horwoods map.
Jewin Street was infested by silversmiths, especially smallworkers including silver bucklemakers !

Originally I assumed from the name John Gifford Sleap , that Eleanor's maiden name may have been Gifford. However Pat (Silvery ), to whom I am indebted to most of this post writes : -
" I don’t have access to the primary records to support this, but appears certain Eleanor is the daughter of Robert Hindmarsh. She along with John and her father are listed with birth records for Elizabeth and Anne Matilda (and a Charles Robert).
The reference is Original data: Genealogical Society of Utah. British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, copyright 2002. "
In view of the witness names I agree with this view. Where the Gifford comes from is at present unknown, nor how Charles Robert fits in . Perhaps died in he childhood , or fell out with his parents.

All answers/theories welcome !

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”