ALCOCK, John (Grimwade p.421)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

ALCOCK, John (Grimwade p.421)

Post by buckler »

Grimwade links him to an address at "ye Cup and Ring at Cripplegate " As his only known mark was in Wood Street the north end of which is in Cripplegate this sounds likely .

He was an apprentice of Daniel Skinner who had been an apprentice to Maurice Boheme, a well known bucklemaker .
John Alcock in turn took as apprentice Henry Bickerton, later a known bucklemaker , so there is every likelihood that Alcock was one .

Further references below indicate that Alcock was certainly a seller of buckles, and resided in Cripplegate

12th September 1733
A trial at the Old Bailey refers to the theft by three men of three pair of silver Stock-clasps, a silver Tobacco-stopper, and half a silver Stock-buckle, plus two pair of silver Tea-tongs, Three silver Girdle-buckles, eleven Tea-spoons and half a silver Stock-buckle (the other half ? ), the Goods of John Alcock , in his Shop

John Alcock- “These Goods were lost out of my Shew-glass, ….the Prisoners had stolen all these Things out of my Shop at Cripple-gate “ .

6 September 1743
Daily Gazette.
“for stealing out of the shop of Mr John Alcock of Cripplegate , Silversmith , a silver button and a silver buckle , value 6s

4 June 1747
A further trial at the Old Baily involving a domestic theft gives a statement

“John Alcock . The Prisoner lived with me a Year and an half; she was discharged my Service the 31st Day of August last.

Q. What is your Business?

Alcock. I am a Silversmith at Cripplegate, and have lived there nine and twenty Years.”

The 29 year tenure by 1747 of this John Alcock is unfortunately inconsistent with the John Alcock who was apprentice to Daniel Skinner at Silver Street until 1724.

We may have two silver bucklemakers of the same name and period ! Or the trial account report may have been mistaken ! The Proceedings of the Old Bailey were not official reports , but sensational journalism.

Although not in Grimwade I believe the marks below are his. Found on a stock clasp of the 1740 -1756 period and probably in the lost smallworkers register . Note that the rebus on the mark probably refers to "the Cup and Ring "

silverly

Re: ALCOCK, John (Grimwade p.421)

Post by silverly »

8 July 1725 John Alcock and Elizabeth Field both of Saint Alban Wood Street married at Saint Michael Bassishaw Parish.
silverly

Re: ALCOCK, John (Grimwade p.421)

Post by silverly »

1726-1752 John Alcock listed in land tax records in Cripplegate Without City of London.

1792 August - 1793 January Mary Field Rosser Widow Cripplegate daughter of John Alcock free in the Company of Goldsmiths by patrimony.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”