JAMES, Daniel (not recorded in Grimwade )

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

JAMES, Daniel (not recorded in Grimwade )

Post by buckler »

Believed (by me at least ) to have marks in the lost small-workers register of 1739 - 1756.
He appears to have been a bucklemaker
There may be a father and son in the account below, and possibly even a third man.

20 April 1757 [The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t17570420-27]

......Daniel James . On the 30th of March I sent a parcel of goods by my wife for Mr. Neal Campbell of Alesbury; the silver had been sent for me to work up for him into rims for buckles; there were rims for eleven pair. They were directed for him, to go by Mr. Rogers's waggon. The same buckles were brought to me by Mr. Nash, and a constable, who asked me if I had been rob'd. Upon seeing them, I knew them to be the same (produced in court, and deposed to be the property of Neal Campbell , of Alesbury.) [Neil Campbell of Aylesbury ].....

Q. Where do you live?

James. I live in Monkwell street.........
[Monkwell Street had several silver bucklemakers with registered marks in the second half of the 18th century ]

8 June 1765
Gazetteer and New Daily Advertiser (London, England), Saturday, June 8, 1765
"Last Wednesday was married at St Alban's Wood Street , Mr James Jun Silver Buckle Maker of Monkwell Street to Mrs Dunn.

May be the Daniel James shown in the Poor Rate Book of 1763 at Monkwell Street

06 December 1769
The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t17691206-31

Daniel JAMES . I am a silver buckle maker, and live in Kingsland-road.
[Kingsland Road appears to be in Shoreditch rather than the City ]

Below is what I believe to be his mark, on a buckle of c1760 - c1775

silverly

Re: JAMES, Daniel (not recorded in Grimwade )

Post by silverly »

15 May 1783 Daniel James of the Parish of Saint Leonard Shoreditch "Bucklemaker" will proved at London. Reference TNA PROB 11/1103/250. TNA interprets the occupation in this will as Brickmaker, but I believe it is Bucklemaker. The occupation name is unclear due to smudging and maybe overwriting. Daniel left his tools implements and stock in trade to his son Joseph.
silverly

Re: JAMES, Daniel (not recorded in Grimwade )

Post by silverly »

buckler wrote:8 June 1765
Gazetteer and New Daily Advertiser (London, England), Saturday, June 8, 1765
"Last Wednesday was married at St Alban's Wood Street , Mr James Jun Silver Buckle Maker of Monkwell Street to Mrs Dunn.
5 June 1765 Daniel James of the Parish of Saint Olave Silver Street Widower married Elizabeth Adams of the Parish of Saint Boltoph Aldgate Widow at the Parish Church of Saint Alban Wood Street. The witnesses were Michael James and William Hall.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”