Help with Spanish Hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rascalsally

Help with Spanish Hallmarks

Post by rascalsally »

I too have a Spanish hallmark that I have spent WAY much time researching. It is on an ornamental tray (there is a hanger on the back) depicting a scene from Don Quixote (Quijote).
I have found a close match from a forum here 10 years ago. At that time someone had answered that it belonged to Matilde Espuñes. I also saw she came from a line of silversmiths and wondered if due to it's similarity maybe it belonged to the father or grandfather? I have not found much info on Matilde Espuñes but have found this mark also being used as having belonged to a Matilde Espuñes. Is it a Spanish to English thing with the last name or 2 different people? I started my research with using Santacana and found only this "Jose Guasch Santacana was the most prominent silversmith in Spain during the 1920's and 1930's. His works are rare because there was a very small market in Spain during this time for such high quality silver.” I stopped thinking Santacana was the maker and maybe the shop or distributor the maker sold to?
Also my thoughts were this ornamental tray was more 1800s than 1930s; but who am I to guess?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. ~Sally
Justme1

Re: Help with Spanish Hallmarks

Post by Justme1 »

Hi there,
I can’t speak to the hallmarks, but as far as the correct Spanish last name, it would be Espuñes.
rascalsally

Post by rascalsally »

Thank you! One mystery solved :)
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Hola rascalsally, yo creo que ya he publicado alguna vez la historia de Matilde Espuñes, pero no me importa volverlo hacer.
Matilde (nombre, fue una mujer)
Espuñes (apellido descendiente de su padre)
Bagués (apellido descendiente de su madre).
Matilde Espuñes y Bagués, nieta de Ramón Espuñes e hija del primer matrimonio y primogénita de Luis Espuñes, aprendió el oficio de su padre y a la muerte de este, se establece por su cuenta, creando M. ESPUÑES, llegó a tener una importante plantilla de orfebres y una elevada producción. Después de la guerra civil, se asocia con la firma Meneses y forman la Unión de Orfebres, paso a formar parte del grupo Rumasa que desaparecio en el tercer cuarto del s.XX. Matilde utilizo como contrastes M / copa / E para la plata de ley; la figura de una alpaca generalmente para los cubiertos y M. E. para los objetos plateados.
El nombre de Santacana, es la joyería donde se vendió sin importancia sobre la pieza, un mal uso de este tipo de marcas que lleva a confusión
Un saludo

Hi rascalsally, I think I've already published the story of Matilde Espuñes, but I do not mind doing it again.
Matilde (name, was a woman)
Espuñes (last name descendant of his father)
Bagués (last name descendant of his mother).
Matilde Espuñes y Bagués, granddaughter of Ramón Espuñes and daughter of the first marriage and first-born of Luis Espuñes, he learned the trade of his father and after his death, he established himself on his own, creating M. ESPUÑES, he came to have an important staff of Goldsmiths and a high production. After the civil war, it was associated with the firm Meneses and formed the Union of Goldsmiths, became part of the Rumasa group that disappeared in the third quarter of the 20th century. Matilde used as contrasts M / copa / E for sterling silver; the figure of an alpaca usually for silverware and M.E. for silver objects.
The name of Santacana, is the jewelry where it was sold without importance on the piece, a misuse of this type of marks that leads to confusion
a greeting
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

rascalsally

Post by rascalsally »

Thank you Funkel, I'm sorry but yes I had seen the story a few other places in the forum and you have been very helpful but I was unsure if this mark was in fact belonging to Matilde Espuñes. It appears to be a very clear mark and the ones I am comparing to are not as clear. Are you saying that yes, this is her work? I really do appreciate all the history and it all only makes me want to keep the piece even more. If it is her work then it would have been made sometime in the early 1900s? It just seemed so much older to me.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Efectivamente, es un trabajo de Matilde Espuñes, confeccionado en la primera mitad del s. XX. Le mando la marca mas clara que tengo de ella. Saludos

Indeed, it is a work of Matilde Espuñes, made in the first half of the s. XX. I send you the clearest mark I have of her. regards

rascalsally

Post by rascalsally »

Thank you SO much Funkel! For the life of me I still can't see the M or E though in the mark, yes the E must be what looks like the 2 hanging from the right side? The lamp thing is what is called an Alpaca? I keep thinking furry animals when I hear Alpaca. To me it still looks like a lamp or possibly a ship.
Your help has been invaluable and I truly do appreciate your help and quick responses. I am going through BINS of silver plate and finding items that are true silver along the way. Working on another one today with 4 symbols and will at least try to get a Country mark before I start a new topic.
I've also found a few of the "What are these" kind of things, honestly those are my favorites and usually get to keep them for doing the research and selling for my fiance. I LOVE oddities, especially smalls and have been saving for years; some silver and some plate! While taking breaks from research I've been going through the oddities, "what is this used for" thread just for fun:)
Anyway... Funkel you ARE the man! You seem to know very much about Spanish marks which seem to be the toughest to find info on with whatever site I am looking through. Most seem to have a handful at best and no hallmarks, city/town marks etc pictorialized. Makes it very frustrating for those of us who have no clue what we're doing but have been thrown a ton of silver and plate but know how to research. I am finding some beautiful silver plate which I myself will clean up and use. It may not be "the real deal" but some of the pieces are quite pretty. That picture you posted of the really good Matilde mark was a huge made me feel better kind of thing. Now if you save mine you will have an even clearer one for the person who comes along asking:) Again THANK YOU SO MUCH! ~Sally
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Chapter XLVII
OF THE STRANGE MANNER IN WHICH DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA WAS CARRIED AWAY ENCHANTED, TOGETHER WITH OTHER REMARKABLE INCIDENTS
Possibly after Gustave Doré
Do not clean it to the point all patina is lost.
Regards

Return to “Other Countries”