9-Greek helmet-14

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

9-Greek helmet-14

Post by amena »

Hi all
I saw a hallmarking in an auction catalog that I can't interpret.
There is the eagle with an R on the chest, which is the "ricognizione" mark in use since 1824 in the Savoyard state, to mark objects made before 1824 and held by silversmiths.
Along with the eagle is a "9-Greek helmet-14" mark that I can't make sense of.
I have never seen such a mark before. Could it be a mark in use in some other European country?
Has anyone ever seen a similar mark?
Thanks for attention
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: 9-Greek helmet-14

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

I believe it to be a maker's mark. The numbers could refer to the Silversmiths Register.
https://www.silvercollection.it/TORINOHALLMARKS.html

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hmm...
That "9-Greek helmet-14" must have some meaning, but I can't find it.
That it's a silversmith's mark doesn't seem very probable to me: the list of silversmiths with numbers began in 1935. Previously they used the initial letters of their names and surnames.
It could be that the 9 means the fineness of 9 denari and the 14 the year 1814, but what does the Greek helmet mean?
And why is this kind of mark not mentioned in any book of italian marks, and why have I never met one before?
The mystery remains unsolved, I think.
Thanks anyway, Peter, for your opinion, I'll think about it.
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

I'm unsure over how far-reaching the area that was governed by the House of Savoy was, but could this mark have anything to do with the numbering system in use at Napoli in the 1840's?

Trev.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Trev
I'm afraid I didn't understand the question.
Could you give me more details?
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

Some years ago I came upon a list of those working in Napoli in 1845. Many of those listed had 'Orefici Numero' followed by a one or two digit number after their name and address. I just wondered if, by chance, what appears to be some kind of local register of those working in the trade, may be connected to the numbers on your mystery mark.

I am, of course, shooting in the dark on this one.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

I wonder what is the purpose of the eagle mark R, its meaning, description; verification for items made before 1824 large works?
Would it have been struck on an object without the old (familiar) marks and without a maker's mark with an unknown hallmark only?

Peter.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

To Trev
I don't know the list you mention and I would be very interested to know more. Can you tell me where to look?
To Peter
Your observation is just right.
It seems rather strange that this mark is being affixed with virtually no scrutiny, but it just seems like it
I enclose the photo of chapter VI of the royal patents and its translation. As we read, this mark was used for a very limited period and is therefore found very few times.
CHAPTER VI.
Transitional provisions.
82. Within fifteen days of the publication of these Regulations, all manufacturers and dealers of gold and silver objects must submit to the office of stewardship of their Province a note in two originals of the objects in their possession, both national and of foreign origin.
A record of this presentation will be drawn up, and once the aforementioned term has expired, the register will be closed by order of the intendant, and no further declaration will be admitted.
Immediately after closing the register, the two notes will be sent by the intendant to the central administration of the Royal Mints, which will forward one to the Verifier of the hallmark Office.
83. The works delivered in this way will then be presented to the hallmark Office within another two months to be all indistinctly subjected to a single punch, known as recognition, the imprint of which will be an eagle with the letter R below, for to whom no fee will be due; failure to comply with this formality will be punished pursuant to article 59.
84. Once the aforementioned term has elapsed, the use of the recognition punch will cease, which will be withdrawn by the Administration of the Mints and will be cancelled; all the works that after this term will be found existing at jewelers, goldsmiths, silversmiths and any other dealer or manufacturer of gold and silver objects, which are not covered with the recognition hallmark, or with the others established by these Regulations , will be seized, and the offenders will be subject to the penalties brought by article 59.

Best regards
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

Here's a sample page:

At first I thought these were house numbers, but it seems strange to put the street name, then occupation, and then a number. It's perhaps nothing, but maybe something.

Trev.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Trev
The numbers certainly refer to the house number,eg
Scognamiglio Romoaldo, orefice, piazza larga degli orefici n. 70
Scognamiglio Romoaldo, goldsmith, large square of the goldsmiths n. 70
Selvaggi Giuseppe, orologiaro, str. Speranzella n. 80.
Selvaggi Giuseppe, watchmaker, street Speranzella n. 80.
Senes et Bellet successori d’Arena col loro magazzino di chincaglierie bisciutterie ed altri generi alla strada Toledo sotto le Reali Finanze.
Senes et Bellet successors of Arena with their warehouse of knick-knacks, jewellery, and other goods in Toledo road under the Royal Finances.
In this case, instead of the street number, an indication is given to locate the warehouse.
And also
Silipigni Littorio, bijouterie str. di Chiaja n. 13
Spasiano Carlo,gioielliere, al largo degli Orefici n. 13.
Silipigni Littorio bijouterie str. of Chiaja n. 13
Spasiano Carlo, jeweler, large street of Goldsmiths n. 13.
both have the same number 13
Regards
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thanks Amena for clarifying the situation.

Trev.

Return to “Other Countries”