Swedish Sterling, Help with Town and Maker MGABU

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mapste

Swedish Sterling, Help with Town and Maker MGABU

Post by mapste »

Hi,

Thanks to your website, I have finally identified my mystery serving spoon as Swedish Sterling (triple crown and S hallmarks) made in 1951 (A9). However I have searched in vain here and other places to determine the maker and town marks. If successful with that, are there any resources to help me find pattern information?

The spoon size is 8 1/8". The mark is on the back of the handle and the full sequence of marks is 5/8". The images follow.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Marlene

finnegan

Post by finnegan »

Hey Marlene,
Nice pattern, shell ends always work for me. Can't help you with the maker, but the city mark is for Uppsala.

FIN
---
mapste

Post by mapste »

Thank you FIN! I assume Uppsala is the "U" part of the mark, so I'm stuck on maker MGAB. Is that corrrect?

Can you suggest any books or websites I should check?

Marlene
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

It could be MGAB = K G Markströms i Uppsala
scha2lle

Post by scha2lle »

Hose_dk wrote:It could be MGAB = K G Markströms i Uppsala

Quite right, just some extra explanation -if you look at the line below you will see :
MGAB = MARKSTRÖMS GULDSMEDS AB K G

the company worked in 1913-1992

website for this information :
http://stamps.swedac.se/index_ie.asp?sLang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/scha2lle - Sweden
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

Just a remark: The cat's paw (tripple crowns) does not mean that it's sterling, it means that the silver content is at least 830/1000. It could be more, and since 1974 an additionel mark of the silver content is required. In Sweden, as well as the rest of Europe exept Denmark, Sterling silver is very unusual in flatware and hollow ware due to it's softness.

Return to “Other Countries”