Thrown on the Wagon in Advance of the Russians

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RuthHMason

Thrown on the Wagon in Advance of the Russians

Post by RuthHMason »

My mother-in-law, now 80, grew up on a large estate in what is now the Czech Republic when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Her family was Austrian.

These handsome candlesticks were one of the few heirlooms the family was able to save as they fled from the advancing Russian army at the end of WWII. We don't know for a fact if the candlesticks are German, but it seems like a best guess.

This morning a silversmith told me the candlesticks are made of coin silver. They're hollow inside and you can see the hand hammer marks underneath.

Sorry for the crude sketch of the marks, but my camera isn't cooperating today. The third mark at the end is very indistinct on both candlesticks.

I'd love to give my mother-in-law the history of her candlesticks for Christmas. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Ruth Mason

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you see this?Image
From our Foreign Hallmarks page.
RuthHMason

Post by RuthHMason »

Wow! Thanks for the prompt help! So we now know the candle sticks are from 19th century Austria-Hungary.

But there's still some mystery. The year numbers on my marks are very indistinct. I wonder if anyone could help me guess the date given the style of the candlesticks. Perhaps identifying the VR (the maker?) would narrow the possible dates?

Thanks,
Ruth
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

dear Ruth, I think we can really narrow down the age of your candlesticks.

In the center hallmark, if you can decifer the letter at the top it comes as follows :

Letter "G" assayed in Leutschau 1815

Letter "B" assayed in Prague between 1814 and 1866

Letter "A" assayed in Vienna between 1814 and 1866

The 4 patches surrounding the center circle are actually figures and represents the date.

I am certain if you have a magnifying glass you should be able to date it very precisely.

The date is always shown as follows :

If date is 1815 , figures will be placed 1 at top left, 8 at top right, 1 at bottom left and 5 at bottom right.

The VR mark is actually an hallmark showing that taxes have been paid and that the item is considered as ancient piece of silver.

If this VR mark is in a rectangular shape, it shows that your pieces dates between 1811 and 1824., if it is in a cut round shape it is for the period 1866 to 1922.

I hope I have been able to help you offer your mother in law the explanations for these candlesticks. My family has the same history as yours except that mine escaped from Hungary and I did the same search as yours a couple of years ago.

I hope she will enjoy her gift.

Very happy Xmas to you and your family.

Best regards
Myriam
RuthHMason

Post by RuthHMason »

Thanks so much Maryiam:

The marks look like 1816, but I couldn't quite believe it. But your additional info that the square VR shape was only used from 1812 to 1824 confirms the year.

This will really make Dorli happy. I can't thank you enough.

Ruth

Return to “Other Countries”