Solid silver footed bowl, possibly german? several marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Malakovski

Solid silver footed bowl, possibly german? several marks

Post by Malakovski »

First post here, so hello all, and thanks to any who take the time to read and consider.

I recently acquired a silver footed bowl with some puzzling features and hallmarks (or makers marks).

The bowl is rather plain, with a simple scroll motif around the edge. The three feet are clearly stamped and much thinner than the bowl, with a similar, but slightly different scroll pattern.

On the top of the bowl, just inside the edge decoration, are three marks, each several inches apart. There are no marks on the feet.

The first is the easiest to read. It reads "800" with the faint outline of an oval around the number still visible:

I take this to mean 800/1000 parts silver, and possibly a German mark.

The second mark is the letters GV:

Simple, but I could not find it on this or other web sites.

Lastly is the following mark:

Here's where I am really lost. At first I thought it read "PA" then a pentagram, then "92", but on closer examination, the "A" looks like it might be a second five-pointed star with two points worn off, the "P" looks like it could be a "D", or maybe not a letter at all, the "9" could be a partly worn "8", and there is room for a third digit next to the "2", although if I am correct about the 800, it does not make sense for there to be another mark indicating silver content.

There is clearly a lot of information here for those with eyes to see, but my experience is too limited. Thoughts, anyone?

Evan
Joerg
contributor

Solid Silver Bowl

Post by Joerg »

Dear Evan

your bowl is Italian. A modern Italian Hallmark includes the purity degree (800) in an oval outline, a star, a number for the maker an two letters for the Italian province. Check out the corresponding sections on this site.

Have fun!

Joerg
Malakovski

Re: Solid Silver Bowl

Post by Malakovski »

Joerg wrote:Dear Evan

your bowl is Italian. A modern Italian Hallmark includes the purity degree (800) in an oval outline, a star, a number for the maker an two letters for the Italian province. Check out the corresponding sections on this site.

Have fun!

Joerg
Thank you. It does indeed look like a good match. So, almost certainly post-1968 Italian silver. I hope I am not missing something really obvious, but I could not find, either on this web site or ASCAS, a list of Italian province abbreviations, or a list of maker's numbers. Can anyone point me to one on-line? I have no reference books, unfortunately, but I would like to be able to nail down the maker and place of origin.

Evan

Return to “Other Countries”