Belgian XIXth century forks and spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fripou

Belgian XIXth century forks and spoons

Post by fripou »

Hello

I just bought 6 table spoons and 6 forks in Liège, in Belgium ; they are in the form typical for Liège ; they are made of .800 silver, hallmarked between 1831 and 1868.

Some have a EJ maker's mark, some a MJ, but both with the same animal head (?) over it.

Can you please tell me by whom this flatware (if that is the correct term) was made ? and if it is a known maker?

Thanks in advance

François

Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thought this deserved another look, so up to the top it goes.
fripou

Post by fripou »

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ! ! !

I just want to thank the "admin" for moving this topic to the top again !

Unfortunately, there is still no answer, but I don't give up !

And I have a few new things I have to post for identification...

Best regards

fripou
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

I don't have an answer for you, but I notice that the form of your flatware is very similar to mine, though your finials curve up in Hanoverian Pattern, while mine curve down in Old English Pattern:

http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still, the overall shape, and particularly the unique thickened finial tip, suggest to me that my spoons came from Belgium like yours. Thank you for posting your pics (and admin for moving them up to the top of the deck).

SS
Dendriet
contributor

Re: Belgian XIXth century forks and spoons

Post by Dendriet »

blakstone wrote:Unfortunately, the maker’s mark “MJ” with an animal’s head is not recorded. However the only maker known at the time with these initials was Nicolas Mathieu Jeanne (1784-1848), known as Mathieu Jeanne, and who registered a mark “MI” in a lozenge around 1808, when the region was part of the French Empire. The insignia of his shop at 984 rue Neuvice was “the black (later golden) sheep” [mouton noir (d’or)], and the animal’s head here may well be a sheep’s. If so, this is very likely a later mark used by Jeanne, who was working until at least 1842, or perhaps that of his son Jean Mathieu, a silversmith who worked in his father’s shop along with brothers Jean Etienne (silversmith), Edouard (engraver) and Joseph (jeweler).
Hope this helps!
Ref: Walter Van Dievoet, Geschiedenis En De Officiele Merken Van De Keurkamers Voor De Waarborg Van Goud En Zilver En Belgie Van 1794 Tot Nu (Brussels: Gemeentekrediet van Belgie, 1980), p. 118, mark #5, p. 120, mark #4, & p. 205, table G.
Walter Van Dievoet, Orfèvres de Liège du XIX Siècle (Louvain: Walter Van Dievoet, 2006), p. 59, maker #82
blakstone wrote:Walter Van Dievoet's latest book, Répertoire général des orfèvres et des marques d'orfèvrerie en Belgique, v. II: 1798-1942 (Brussels: Académie d'histoire de l'orfèvrerie en Belgique: 2010) attributes this mark to Emmanuel Joseph Jehu (1750-1808) of Mons (p. 216, mark E1.032), but this is clearly incorrect; it is unlikely Jehu's mark would still be in use in 1832, twenty-four years after his death. (The mark is definitely "EJ", by the way; I have seen very clear examples of it.)
Given the similar Liège provenance and the identical device, I think your guess that the marks in both your posts are linked in a good one. If the maker of the other pieces is Mathieu Jeanne (and I think it is), then "EJ" is assuredly his eldest son Étienne Jeanne, whom Van Dievoet notes took over his father's business after the latter's death in 1848. (Van Dievoet, Orfèvres de Liège, ibid.)
Hope this helps!
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

I forgot to mention this.
It may be no coincidence that these were purchased separately in Liege with the same makers mark.
fripou wrote:Hello I just bought 6 table spoons and 6 forks in Liege, in Belgium ; they are in the form typical for Liege ; they are made of .800 silver, hallmarked between 1831 and 1868.Some have a EJ maker's mark, some a MJ, but both with the same animal head (?) over it.Can you please tell me by whom this flatware (if that is the correct term) was made ? and if it is a known maker?
Thanks in advance François
Dendriet wrote:This all comes from the same family of Liege, where I bought other spoons and forks. I suspect that it is from the same family silversmith from Liege. Dendriet
fripou

Post by fripou »

Hello Dendriet

Sorry for the very very late reply : I just saw your a sewer to my post, as I have not come to this forum in years.

Your info is very valuable. Thank you for sharing

All best wishes
François
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

You're welcome

Regards
Dendriet

Return to “Other Countries”