Silver spoons mystery

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Irving@uq.net.au

Silver spoons mystery

Post by Irving@uq.net.au »

Hi, I was gifted a lovely set of Silver Spoons which have been handed down through the family and I would very much love to discover their origin and maker. They were a wedding gift in 1868 in Sweden.

I have searched the dbase with no luck to discover the origin of the markings and I would be very grateful if anyone could help. The makers mark appears to be RCD or HCD, the first letter is difficult to determine.

Thankyou for your time and efforts, and the forums very existance :)

JanImage
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

It's a bit hard to see, but the first mark looks very much like two towers in an oval, the Danish mark for silver plate. The mark for sterling is three towers. Unfortunately I can't help you with the maker. By the shape I would say that they are egg spoons.

I'm sorry if I have disappointed you, but the spoons are definately not Swedish, and, as far as I can make out, Danish silver plate. There's nothing strange about Danish spoons being presented as a gift in Sweden, especially if your ancestors lived in the south of Sweden. If it had been Swedish, it would have had the cat's paw, the Swedish controlmark for silver.
Irving@uq.net.au

Thankyou for your advice... From what I can discern it is a mark of two towers and it is repeated in the third mark on the inner bridge of the spoons though it is the most difficult to discern.

That the mark may be Danish is relevant as the couple who recieved the gift in 1868 did have connections with the Danish court and Denmark and I would love to eventually discover the origins of the spoons as they were kept as a special keepsake.

Thankyou for your time and efforts it is all a step closer to discovering their origins :)

Jan
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Yes the two towers is Danish and it means silver plated.
from 1608 3 towers represented silver in Copenhagen from 1870 3 towers represented siver in Denmark.

Smart business men the got the idea if 3 towers represented silver then why not 2 towers silverplated ?
So they did and in (i think in the 1930) they stopped again because of the unfair competition. today however the 2-towered silver exists in peoples mind. From a marketing point of view it was a briliant idea.
Irving@uq.net.au

Thank you for this additional information. I very much appreciate your time and reply. :)

Return to “Other Countries”